New to this

Luke

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi everyone, as you can probably tell by the title that I am new to this, well sort of. I took the 30 day vegan challenge back in 2010 but the only advice that I heard was from the high carb crowd and I felt horrid the whole time mainly because of a medical condition that I was born with called reactive hypoglycemia. I have been using ketogenic cycles to stabilize my blood sugar condition for some time now and I came across a video from one of the foremost experts on keto who despite not being vegan himself recommended that people on keto go vegan for a whole host of reasons. I am due for my next cycle anyway and though I would give it a try. I don't need meat substatues because I rarely ate meat on keto anyway but replacing dairy and eggs are going to be the hard part and I was hoping that someone might have some pointers or some low carb recipes. I am in rural east Texas so no vegan cheese or other pre-packaged vegan products are available.

I don't know much about hypoglycemia, so my opinions, suggestions and advice could be completely useless.

But I have been reading up on the Keto diet for quite a while. And I'm convinced that the Keto diet is the second stupidest diet in the world (IMHO, only paleo is stupider).

And I didn't arrive at this decision all by myself.
According to US News and World Reports Keto is The Worst Diet.
According to the Lancelet, low carb diets lead to a shorter life expectancy.
And I could go on and on.
but check this out. Even the authors who have written books promoting Keto, Atkins and/or low carb warn their readers that these are not long term solutions - you can't stay on a low carb diet for very long without suffering some ill effects. Ketogenesis puts a lot of strain on your kidneys and liver.

Dr. McDougal has written an essay on treating hypoglycemia with a starch-based diet.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/common-health-problems/hypoglycemia/

and from Fuhrman
https://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1973701

Couldn't find anything by Dr. Gregar, but I'm sure it's in his book, How Not To Die.

One of the first things most plant-based eaters learn pretty fast is that complex carbs are good. Along with the fiber they are associated with, it slows digestion and keeps blood sugar levels normal.

And just checked a few websites for people with hypoglycemia and found that they all recommend complex carbs and soluble fiber. Plus they all suggest avoiding high-fat foods and sugary foods. Those recommendations are entirely compatible with a vegan or WFPB Diet.

So my suggestion is to ditch all your Keto stuff. Get yourself a WFPB diet book.

Post erased by mod. Oh I see, so if someone supports something other then the cookie cutter high carb diet as the one diet for every human on earth you get the muzzle treatment around here, good to know that diversity is alive and well.

For the record I did try a high carb high starch vegan diet, spent 30 days on it and without going into detail that will get my post erased again let's just say that I got worse, much worse. Dr McDougal is a pretty sharp guy but in this case he does not know what he is talking about, he may have read a book on the subject but I have been living with it for nearly four decades and I know when my glucose is unstable.