New to the forum!

Allicie

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello! I am Alice, glad to join this community! I came here because I cannot find a support to become a vegan in my real life. I do not know how to do it in a correct way, what do vegans eat instead and I need to learn new delicious recipes.

All the best!

I'm pretty new too.
As for what I eat. I can say it is far more varied now than when I used to eat meat and dairy...

Tofu, Tempeh, Various soya-based substitutes, lots of mushrooms... Button, Portabello, Shiitake, Oyster etc.
Lots of mixed nuts
Seeds (add to salads)... Pumpkin, Sunflower kernels, sesame, pine nuts etc
Nutritional yeast...add to most casserole, curry, etc type dishes
Lots of fruit and veg (and we grow a lot of our own such as Pak Choy, tomatoes, cucumber, red berries, raspberries, black-currants, gooseberries, apples, blueberries)
beans, lentils(make a great substitute for Taco night minced beef.)
I make lots of curries, pasta dishes, taco night dishes, risotto, Paella etc
Or get some tofu and apply batter and fry
Or Tofu scramble...add nutritional yeast, turmeric and black salt for a very nice scrambled egg alternative
Vegan pizza...Either use a store bought vegan grated cheese or make some cashew "mozzarella"

Lastly, I sometimes do the lazy thing and put on some Beyond burgers!

Check out Avantgardevegan, Rainbow plant life and Thee burger dude on Youtube amongst others.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and silva
There are many good methods and strategies for becoming vegan. Although it may be hard to pick just one - who says you have to pick just one?

Me and other VFers have written on this subject.

here are a couple of threads and links you can peruse.

Reactions: Allicie
I don't see a "correct" way. Of course everyone needs to understand nutrition, but I think so many omnivores take for granted what they eat without realizing how wrong it is, while thinking vegans need all kinds of restrictions to be healthy.
Being vegan means avoiding animal products, but doesn't imply what you do eat. It can take some time to feel fully normal as a vegan. I remember in the beginning it seemed like I was constantly trying to come up with foods I liked that didn't have cheese, or ingredients. It was a long time before I wanted any Mexican foods as what I liked were full of cheese

What do you like to now?

I highly recommend this book --

Reactions: Lou and Allicie
Welcome to the forum!

First of all, luckily, today there are a lot of vegan options available even at "normal" restaurants. E.G., Burger king has a "plant based Whopper", McDonalds has a "McPlant" in many locations, and so on. Many normal restaurants have separate sections showing vegan dishes.

In ye olde days, we needed to go to ethnic restaurants (e.g. Italian or Chinese) and limit ourselves to special dishes (e.g. "spaghetti with tomato sauce" or "Alio e olio" and "Buddhist monk's food") if we wanted to eat anything out of our houses...

Also, you can look up www.happycow.net to find places offering vegan and vegetarian food or products in your area.

Reactions: Allicie and PTree15
Hi, Alice. Welcome.

My food strategy is to eat regularly from the four vegan food groups: grains, legumes, fruits, other vegetables. As long as you eat regularly from all of those groups (and it doesn't have to be in the same meal or even on the same day) you will get all the essential nutrients. You may want to supplement with vitamin B12. You can make it as tasty or as bland as you wish.

My wife makes a vegan chili that is to die for. She lets me add my own hot peppers, since she doesn't care for a lot of heat.

Regards,
Kathy

Reactions: bEt and PTree15
Hi, Alice. Welcome.

My food strategy is to eat regularly from the four vegan food groups: grains, legumes, fruits, other vegetables. As long as you eat regularly from all of those groups (and it doesn't have to be in the same meal or even on the same day) you will get all the essential nutrients.

You forgot seeds and nuts. and you really should east something from each group each day.
You may want to supplement with vitamin B12.

no maybe about it. you can get your B12 from fortified foods or a vitamin.