US New to site, old Vegan

VeganAnon

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello. New to this site, I haven't really talked a lot in the past with fellow vegans and the like.

I'm 47 now. I went vegetarian at 16. Mom made me talk to doctor about diet to make sure I wasn't going to die from it or anything. I went veggie not due to any outside influence just my own imagination. I couldn't eat something without visualizing what it came from and was to a point that I would gag or throw up even trying to eat meat. My Mom joked I was born veggie since she would throw up anytime eating meat while pregnant with me. At that time I basically subbed meat with cheese.

And then PETA and seeing what I couldn't unsee. At 21 I went vegan and had no idea what to eat since I basically ate cheese then for everything. Side note I was also a very picky eater as a kid and hated most veggies. I had to relearn how to eat and try veggies in new ways. Was a good thing since I learned about so many other food options and ways to cook. So been vegan over half my life now and wouldn't change it, except maybe to go vegan even earlier.

Life has not been easy as a vegan, especially dating. My ex was a die hard omnivore, he would eat anything and everything. Often for "family" dinners with him I would be stuck with the side dishes. Now.....I don't think I could date someone that isn't vegan.

I"m still the only vegan in my life and that is lonely.

welcome to the forum @VeganAnon

I love thinking about the fact that you may have been born vegan... reincarnation rocks!!

You now have lots of vegan friends here and we look forward to your insights and contributions. Many of us have been vegan only within the last 10 years or so, so it is good to have another person here that is an experienced vegan.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Hello. New to this site, I haven't really talked a lot in the past with fellow vegans and the like.

I'm 47 now. I went vegetarian at 16. Mom made me talk to doctor about diet to make sure I wasn't going to die from it or anything. I went veggie not due to any outside influence just my own imagination. I couldn't eat something without visualizing what it came from and was to a point that I would gag or throw up even trying to eat meat. My Mom joked I was born veggie since she would throw up anytime eating meat while pregnant with me. At that time I basically subbed meat with cheese.

And then PETA and seeing what I couldn't unsee. At 21 I went vegan and had no idea what to eat since I basically ate cheese then for everything. Side note I was also a very picky eater as a kid and hated most veggies. I had to relearn how to eat and try veggies in new ways. Was a good thing since I learned about so many other food options and ways to cook. So been vegan over half my life now and wouldn't change it, except maybe to go vegan even earlier.

Life has not been easy as a vegan, especially dating. My ex was a die hard omnivore, he would eat anything and everything. Often for "family" dinners with him I would be stuck with the side dishes. Now.....I don't think I could date someone that isn't vegan.

Hi, I live in the UK. Plenty of vegans here, but as a recluse it doesn't make much difference! 😉

Reactions: VeganAnon

Hello @VeganAnon, Welcome to the forum...
Good for you on going veggie at 16, how cool that your mother was supportive!
It seems like a lot of people compensate for not eating meat by eating tons of cheese, I know that I did at first...
Once I stopped eating cheese I felt So much better that I didn’t miss it... I rarely use the Vegan alternatives...
Like you said my only regret is not becoming Vegan sooner, I too have been Vegan half my life...
Relationships with non vegans were difficult for me too... I dated quite a few guys who were accepting of my lifestyle but,
were not going to go Vegan themselves...
It can be very lonely not knowing any other Vegans, I was able to find other Vegans through Meetup. Have you ever tried looking there?If there is not a group already established in your area you could even try to create one yourself...

Reactions: Ahimsa
Hello @VeganAnon, Welcome to the forum...
Good for you on going veggie at 16, how cool that your mother was supportive!
It seems like a lot of people compensate for not eating meat by eating tons of cheese, I know that I did at first...
Once I stopped eating cheese I felt So much better that I didn’t miss it... I rarely use the Vegan alternatives...
Like you said my only regret is not becoming Vegan sooner, I too have been Vegan half my life...
Relationships with non vegans were difficult for me too... I dated quite a few guys who were accepting of my lifestyle but,
were not going to go Vegan themselves...
It can be very lonely not knowing any other Vegans, I was able to find other Vegans through Meetup. Have you ever tried looking there?If there is not a group already established in your area you could even try to create one yourself...
Last time I tried via Meetup or other options.....the ex was still in the picture and complicated things. There were other issues with him beyond eating everything and anything. I should give it a try again.....when we can do Meet ups and stuff again. :)

Reactions: 1956
Hi VeganAnon! Welcome to VF!

I've visited Grand Rapids several times, actually, and am married to a gal originally from just a few towns south of there - although she has also lived in Grand Rapids for a while!

I've dined at the vegan-friendly Marie Catrib several times, Green (sp?) and an all-vegan restaurant whose name I can't remember. Visited Meijer Gardens and a mall etc. Good times!

Reactions: Dedalus
Hi VeganAnon! Welcome to VF!

I've visited Grand Rapids several times, actually, and am married to a gal originally from just a few towns south of there - although she has also lived in Grand Rapids for a while!

I've dined at the vegan-friendly Marie Catrib several times, Green (sp?) and an all-vegan restaurant whose name I can't remember. Visited Meijer Gardens and a mall etc. Good times!
Not sure if Marie Catrib is still open and I know the all vegan place you mean....forgot the name of them, with the pandemic a few places have closed. However Grand Rapids is one of the most vegan cities I have ever visited and hence been happy to settle here. I can order pizza from two places for delievery, four if I pick up - I live on outskirts. Plus all the Thai and Indian places in town. And two places I know that I can get vegan breakfast, which is like a holy grail.

I don't know Michigan well outside of GR, I grew up in Illinois. I know how to get to Chicago and Springfield from here. Lansing I could maybe do. LOL

Not sure if Marie Catrib is still open and I know the all vegan place you mean....forgot the name of them, with the pandemic a few places have closed. However Grand Rapids is one of the most vegan cities I have ever visited and hence been happy to settle here. I can order pizza from two places for delievery, four if I pick up - I live on outskirts. Plus all the Thai and Indian places in town. And two places I know that I can get vegan breakfast, which is like a holy grail.

I don't know Michigan well outside of GR, I grew up in Illinois. I know how to get to Chicago and Springfield from here. Lansing I could maybe do. LOL
Yes, it's not the worst place in the world! Very car-centered for my tastes (I'm from small place in Norway), but that's similar to most of the US, and you've got lots of food/dining options, at least.

Yes, I believe Marie Catrib closed a few years ago when Marie herself (if that was her name) passed away from cancer IIRC, and I think her son didn't want to continue running it.

Yes, it's not the worst place in the world! Very car-centered for my tastes (I'm from small place in Norway), but that's similar to most of the US, and you've got lots of food/dining options, at least.

Yes, I believe Marie Catrib closed a few years ago when Marie herself (if that was her name) passed away from cancer IIRC, and I think her son didn't want to continue running it.
I grew up in two small towns, one 4500 people and the next 5400 people so very small town minded person here. However GR is not as car centered as other cities I have found like St Louis (I don't think they believe in sidewalks at all) and omg LA, even the outskirts of LA the traffic was horrible.

Reactions: Second Summer

Life has not been easy as a vegan, especially dating. My ex was a die hard omnivore, he would eat anything and everything. Often for "family" dinners with him I would be stuck with the side dishes. Now.....I don't think I could date with someone not vegan.