New to Forum and a New Vegan

Flick

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello Everyone!

I'm Flick (short for Felicity, I'm fine with either). I'm new to veganism and up until 1 month ago I was a straight up meat and dairy eater although I did for a long time go down the 'cruelty free' path because I just didn't think that either vegetarianism or veganism was a viable option for me. I've since decided that it is :)

I've started just this week. Today is day three.

I'm also trying to eat as clean (unprocessed) as possible (I've been eating clean for a few months already) but have discovered that I have no other option but to have supplements and fortified soya milk (this is the concession I have allowed myself) in order to get any B-12. B-12 is important :)

Nice to meet you all!

Flick x

Hello Flick, welcome to the forums :D

I'm really happy that you've chosen the cruelty free lifestyle!

There's lots of different milks that have been fortified and other ways to obtain B12, how often do you use butter? I use this on everything that I used to with dairy butter It's really tasty and contains so much less fat.

Let us know if you need anything :)

Hi Damo :)

I don't really use butter to be honest because I don't eat a lot of bread with also doing the clean eating thang :D

But, I do intend at some stage to make my own bread (thus making it clean) so I'll definitely try Pure out when I do, although it's got palm oil in it and I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's debatable whether this is vegan. What's your take on that?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Flick

That's fair enough :)

I sometimes make my own bread though I barely have enough time to keep making it so I usually just purchase bread from the shop, seeded bread is my favorite!

Palm oil is technically vegan because it comes from a plant, have a read of this.

No problem :D

Ah, that's lovely news, thank you! Basically, what we're saying is that some things come from unsustainable sources (which is something beyond our control) but obviously are still 100% plant based and not produced using any animal products, making them themselves vegan. As the unsustainable thing is something I do my best to not exacerbate, I feel ok about this :)

The thing is, if everyone did something then things could eventually be sustainable!

It's no problem!

That's right, I felt the same when I first heard that palm oil is not vegan though after spending a lot of time searching I guess it really depends oh how you personally view palm oil, as it is plant based I'm okay with it.