New study finds a link between video games and violence

That is an unexpected twist

Where did you source this das_nut? Would like to know more

This is definitely true from what I've experienced. The video games not only have a calming effect, but they are also a great way to keep kids with ADHD and other mental disorders to remain focused and relaxed.

There are many factors that cause children to bully, but I don't believe video games is one of them.

I think driving games made me a better driver, when I played them 10 years ago..I didn't feel the need to cut corners, and things like that because I had sort of got that out of my system....I played Porsche Challenge for so many hours, cutting corners in real life seemed foolish.

This is definitely true from what I've experienced. The video games not only have a calming effect, but they are also a great way to keep kids with ADHD and other mental disorders to remain focused and relaxed.

There are many factors that cause children to bully, but I don't believe video games is one of them.

I could see video games causing less violence.

The trend over the past few decades has been less and less violent crime. That's pretty hard to reconcile with the idea that video games cause violence.

I think driving games made me a better driver, when I played them 10 years ago..I didn't feel the need to cut corners, and things like that because I had sort of got that out of my system....I played Porsche Challenge for so many hours, cutting corners in real life seemed foolish.

I think certain games , especially simulator type games can be very beneficial in certain situations. There have been a few stories in the past about teens helping planes to make emergency landings through skills they learned by playing video games.

I think certain games , especially simulator type games can be very beneficial in certain situations. There have been a few stories in the past about teens helping planes to make emergency landings through skills they learned by playing video games.
And surgeons who play video games are mad good at laparoscopic surgeries.

Oh no, this study must be flawed. Everyone knows video games cause violence in real life.

Just like heavy metal causes people to worship Satan! :devil:

I'll be back online to discuss....after Black Mass.

I find that study to be nothing new in the sense that "normal" or mostly normal kids are not the real risk for acting out violence, so I think that study is at best inconclusive. ADHD and depressive symptoms are not the major diagnoses to be concerned with.

They did not test kids with fetal alcohol syndrome/exposure, antisocial disorder or other personality disorders, or even ASD. Mischief's link posits a connection with violent materials, and I think that study likely picked up that subset of the population, by picking offenders, whereas this did not.

Edit - here's a study that basically says as much - not all kids are affected, but links the influence to traits that might be consistent with personality issues, one specifically I think antisocial personality disorder...
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/gpr-14-2-82.pdf

Last edited:
I find that study to be nothing new in the sense that "normal" or mostly normal kids are not the real risk for acting out violence, so I think that study is at best inconclusive

Only if you assume that the "normal" kids are a minority.

I think some people may be desensitized to violence by video games, sure. But the same would also apply to books, and movies, and art, and any form of communication, so on and so forth. So it's silly to make those kinds of correlations.

...I sometimes feel bad for killing digital "living" beings... But I remind myself that they aren't... well.. real living beings! :p

...I sometimes feel bad for killing digital "living" beings... But I remind myself that they aren't... well.. real living beings! :p

Pokemon-PETA-600x300.jpeg

(seriously what was with this)