New pescetarian here

odlyprincess

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Pescetarian
Hi everyone. I'm Olly. New to the community.
I'm 33 yo. Recently I've decided to break up with meat. I know that my body needs protein so I'm still eating fish and sea products.
Joined the community to learn more about the lifestyle.

Welcome aboard.

First off, breaking up with meat is GREAT.
I was a pescatarian for a few years while I was transitioning. I really made an effort to eat healthy and sustainable and at one time I was only buying farm raised catfish from the South East. So from there it was a an easy step to a strict vegetarian diet.

Of course your body needs protein but you don't need fish or seafood. In fact there is a lot of evidence that you are better off without fish or seafood.

Health-wise most fish are contaminated (because our oceans are contaminated). The main thing is the heavy metals.

then there is the whole sustainable thing. And there really isn't any fish harvesting that can be considered a plus of even neutral for the environment.

IMHO, the main thing is that fish are animals and they too deserve to live.

Well I eat a low fat whole foods plant-based diet as any kind of animal protein is really bad for you. There's loads of protein in plants. Why do you think all living things have DNA? It's so that their cells can make protein. DNA codes for protein. Only plant protein is actually good for you. There's a book called 'the China Study: Revised & Expanded edition' by Dr T Colin Campbell which tells you all the science behind eating plant-based and another book 'the China Study Solution' by Thomas Campbell who is T Colin Campbell's son which tells you how to implement the diet. Change your diet now you won't regret it and neither will our buddies the animals & the fish.

I can be a bit of a nitpicker. I apologize in advance. But some of your statements are not exactly true.

any kind of animal protein is really bad for you.
That is too broad of a statement. Yes some animal proteins are bad for you.
There's loads of protein in plants. Why do you think all living things have DNA?
It's so that their cells can make protein. DNA codes for protein.
Again too broad of a statement. DNA does lots of stuff and contains the blueprints for creating lots of things, including proteins.

Only plant protein is actually good for you.
Not really true but at best too broad a statement.
There's a book called 'the China Study: Revised & Expanded edition' by Dr T Colin Campbell which tells you all the science behind eating plant-based and another book
I wouldn't describe it that way. Also there are so many other good books to recommend. The China Study is not only controversial, it's also sort of boring.
'the China Study Solution' by Thomas Campbell who is T Colin Campbell's son which tells you how to implement the diet.
I haven't read that book but I would recommend some of the books in the Forks Over Knives universe instead. Or anything by Greger or Fuhrman.
Change your diet now
I don't think its necessary to make demands and orders now. Give the OP some slack
you won't regret it and neither will our buddies the animals & the fish.
Oh. now that is a sentiment I completely agree with.

Reactions: Brian W
Hi everyone. I'm Olly. New to the community.
I'm 33 yo. Recently I've decided to break up with meat. I know that my body needs protein so I'm still eating fish and sea products.
Joined the community to learn more about the lifestyle.
:welcome:
All our bodies need protein though, it's really far too easy to overdo.
Everyone has there own feelings about giving up meat, so you need to do what works for you. Every step gets you further as long as you keep taking them!

The protein thing is interesting. Plenty of people argue that the protein in plants is found in varying proportions and so you have to ensure an appropriate combination of foods to ensure adequate protein. Then others say no, just ensure adequate calories and you will get enough protein. The cattle farmers say you can only get proper protein from red meats.

Every now and then I put my day's food through Chronometer and it always shows me as having more than enough protein. Though I think it misses a couple of those amino acids that are tricky for vegans to get enough of, though I forget which those are now... I do occasionally include mussels and oysters in my diet and sometimes wild-caught fish. Never crustaceans.

The real trouble with fish is the scale and destructive nature of commercial fishing. It really does seem like a Very Bad Thing. In terms of fish being living things, I am a less moved by that considering the scale of invertebrate death and suffering involved in growing crops.

There's books like 'How Not to Die' And 'How Not to Diet' by Dr Michael Greger, 'the Food Revolution' by John Robbins, 'Undo-It' by Dean Ornish and 'Plant Strong' by RIP ESSELSTYNE not to mention a PDF called 'the Paddison Program for Rheumatoid Arthritis'. All of these titles are about a low fat Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet. The Paddison Program is not just for RA its for a wide range of problems and its the one I've followed since spring 2015 and I lost 3 stone, my arthritis was loads better and I don't need statins or B/P meds anymore.

Reactions: vesper818
Health-wise most fish are contaminated (because our oceans are contaminated). The main thing is the heavy metals.

then there is the whole sustainable thing. And there really isn't any fish harvesting that can be considered a plus of even neutral for the environment.

IMHO, the main thing is that fish are animals and they too deserve to live.
I completely agree with you. But I haven't found a better way to replace the meat protein that my body needs.
My doctor even forbade me to quite a meat because of my health condition. As you can see I do not follow what he says.

Well I eat a low fat whole foods plant-based diet as any kind of animal protein is really bad for you. There's loads of protein in plants. Why do you think all living things have DNA? It's so that their cells can make protein. DNA codes for protein. Only plant protein is actually good for you. There's a book called 'the China Study: Revised & Expanded edition' by Dr T Colin Campbell which tells you all the science behind eating plant-based and another book 'the China Study Solution' by Thomas Campbell who is T Colin Campbell's son which tells you how to implement the diet. Change your diet now you won't regret it and neither will our buddies the animals & the fish.
I got you. But there are lods of different opinions that exist. I want to change my diet but I'm afraid to do it too quickly, so my body would not be able to adapt. This is why I'm quitting meat first and going to do it step by step.

I can be a bit of a nitpicker. I apologize in advance. But some of your statements are not exactly true.

That is too broad of a statement. Yes some animal proteins are bad for you.

Again too broad of a statement. DNA does lots of stuff and contains the blueprints for creating lots of things, including proteins.

Not really true but at best too broad a statement.

I wouldn't describe it that way. Also there are so many other good books to recommend. The China Study is not only controversial, it's also sort of boring.

I haven't read that book but I would recommend some of the books in the Forks Over Knives universe instead. Or anything by Greger or Fuhrman.

I don't think its necessary to make demands and orders now. Give the OP some slack

Oh. now that is a sentiment I completely agree with.
Thank you ;)

welcome to the forum @odlyprincess

We hope that you will transition to fully vegan and @Lou is a prime example of success!

Do let us know if there is anything we can do to help and congrats for the steps you have taken so far.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Thank you Emma
This is why I joined. I'm looking for support and being surrounded by people the same mind

Reactions: Emma JC
In response to the Colin Campbell book "China Study", his book "Whole" that followed I thought was far better researched, and a much better read.
Of course I recommend all of Dr Michael Gregers works, starting with his not for profit site NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

Welcome to VF!

You don't need animal protein to get sufficient quantities of protein.

There's books like 'How Not to Die' And 'How Not to Diet' by Dr Michael Greger, 'the Food Revolution' by John Robbins, 'Undo-It' by Dean Ornish and 'Plant Strong' by RIP ESSELSTYNE not to mention a PDF called 'the Paddison Program for Rheumatoid Arthritis'. All of these titles are about a low fat Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet. The Paddison Program is not just for RA its for a wide range of problems and its the one I've followed since spring 2015 and I lost 3 stone, my arthritis was loads better and I don't need statins or B/P meds anymore.
Thanks a lot guys!

I completely agree with you. But I haven't found a better way to replace the meat protein that my body needs.
My doctor even forbade me to quite a meat because of my health condition. As you can see I do not follow what he says.
Nutrition wise there is not a significant difference between plant and animal protein. Its all just protein. Oh yeah, proteins differ by the amount of amino acids they have, but that really is just a detail.

You hadn't mentioned a health condition. I'm curious but as far a I know there is no health condition that requires "animal protein"

And not that I feel confident in second guessing a medical professional, but most physicians have very little training in Nutrition. If you want or need nutrition advice in treating your condition, see a Registered Dietitian. \

Like @Graeme M, I also use Cronometer to check my protein levels. And I do remember that in the beginning I had to put some effort into meeting my protein requirements. nowadays its as hard as falling out of bed. a lot of that I just the habits I established or developed when using Cronometer constantly.

Protein is subject to propaganda from the meat industry. Misinformation from people who are well meaning but not knowledgable.* and there are also plenty of myths floating around. Plus some people just don't like vegans.

To put it simply, most women need between 50 and 60 grams of protein a day. Basically 20 grams per meal.
Try keeping track one day. You might be surprised how close you can get to that without even trying.
I got you. But there are lods of different opinions that exist. I want to change my diet but I'm afraid to do it too quickly, so my body would not be able to adapt. This is why I'm quitting meat first and going to do it step by step.

actually taking it slow is a very good strategy. but it is not because of protein - its because of fiber.

Animal based foods have almost no fiber. but plant based food has lots of fiber. Going from a low fiber to high fiber diet too fast has caused problems for some new vegans. It turns out its best to take it slow and like you said "step by step"

* my pet peeve is what I call lazy reporting. where a reporter just repeats something without checking its validity.