Music New Music - Mist

Don't know how I missed this one! Another stunner, I must say. Here's the scene that popped into my head while giving this a listen: A person sitting in a rocking chair, mug of tea in hand, looking through an old photo album, the sound of a late afternoon gentle rain tapping on a window...melancholia at its finest. ;)

I love it when music does this to me. Well done, sir. Also, I love the underlying "popping" sounds mixed with the pretty guitar and vocals. Upon a second listen, I discovered more layered sounds tickling my ears. I'll be adding this one to the collection when I get home. :)
Wonderful, wonderful artwork as well.
Once again, thank you for sharing your wonderful gift!

Don't know how I missed this one! Another stunner, I must say. Here's the scene that popped into my head while giving this a listen: A person sitting in a rocking chair, mug of tea in hand, looking through an old photo album, the sound of a late afternoon gentle rain tapping on a window...melancholia at its finest. ;)

I love it when music does this to me. Well done, sir. Also, I love the underlying "popping" sounds mixed with the pretty guitar and vocals. Upon a second listen, I discovered more layered sounds tickling my ears. I'll be adding this one to the collection when I get home. :)
Wonderful, wonderful artwork as well.
Once again, thank you for sharing your wonderful gift!

PTree - as always I am grateful for your friendship, kindness and thoughtful perspective. Listeners like you are the most valuable and rewarding part of creating music. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This song was a complete and total experiment in regards to the percussive effects that went into it. I wrote the music and arrangement to this for a friend of mine who also records his own music. (We exchange backing tracks now and then, to challenge each other to keep our creative mojo active.) I don't think he ever used it - so I took it back! I did the loopy, drip - pop percussion track first and built up the song from there. I like the sparseness of it. There are many layers, but I tried to keep them subtle. The vocal track was modified so that there are actually several tracks in different octaves. (Gives it kind of a creepy element...) This song, paired up nicely with Cellophane - both sort of centered around the topic of mortality, which was consuming me for a long time due to the number of animals and people I lost during a relatively short period of time. The song for February is much more uplifting, I promise! Thanks again PT - you're the best.

PTree - as always I am grateful for your friendship, kindness and thoughtful perspective. Listeners like you are the most valuable and rewarding part of creating music. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This song was a complete and total experiment in regards to the percussive effects that went into it. I wrote the music and arrangement to this for a friend of mine who also records his own music. (We exchange backing tracks now and then, to challenge each other to keep our creative mojo active.) I don't think he ever used it - so I took it back! I did the loopy, drip - pop percussion track first and built up the song from there. I like the sparseness of it. There are many layers, but I tried to keep them subtle. The vocal track was modified so that there are actually several tracks in different octaves. (Gives it kind of a creepy element...) This song, paired up nicely with Cellophane - both sort of centered around the topic of mortality, which was consuming me for a long time due to the number of animals and people I lost during a relatively short period of time. The song for February is much more uplifting, I promise! Thanks again PT - you're the best.

Oh, wow, thank you so much for the insight on the process/inspiration and, of course, your always kind words. We fans are the lucky ones!
I so love hearing about how this beautiful art comes together, and the process itself fascinates me, as I haven't the first inkling of how to write music (only words, when I attempt them, lol). I love that you experimented with the sounds and sort of turned upside-down the concepts of what make tradition/convention in music.

I also appreciate the sparseness factor, as it leads to a quite different listening experience from, say, a classical piece that can fill/command a room. I'm sure you are familiar with SW's Pacific Codex, which takes guitar sounds and turns them into something that sounds nothing like what people expect to hear from a guitar. It's such a cool listen and has that sparseness you mentioned. It sounds weird, but it's almost as if the sparseness allows the room to fill with much more than the sounds, letting my thoughts and impressions wander as if they were following a winding hiking path through the woods.

When music paints a picture in my mind (which this lovely song did), makes me think, ponder, wonder, feel ... it's the best experience in the world. :)

Oh, wow, thank you so much for the insight on the process/inspiration and, of course, your always kind words. We fans are the lucky ones!
I so love hearing about how this beautiful art comes together, and the process itself fascinates me, as I haven't the first inkling of how to write music (only words, when I attempt them, lol). I love that you experimented with the sounds and sort of turned upside-down the concepts of what make tradition/convention in music.

I also appreciate the sparseness factor, as it leads to a quite different listening experience from, say, a classical piece that can fill/command a room. I'm sure you are familiar with SW's Pacific Codex, which takes guitar sounds and turns them into something that sounds nothing like what people expect to hear from a guitar. It's such a cool listen and has that sparseness you mentioned. It sounds weird, but it's almost as if the sparseness allows the room to fill with much more than the sounds, letting my thoughts and impressions wander as if they were following a winding hiking path through the woods.

When music paints a picture in my mind (which this lovely song did), makes me think, ponder, wonder, feel ... it's the best experience in the world. :)

I've got more to say about this - but for the moment - one of the things I learned from listening to Robert Fripp (King Crimson) is that silence is a note! It's kind of an odd statement - but you understand exactly what it means.

Shamefully, I did not learn about this until you told me about it. :( I'm listening to it now....very cool. It has a dark, ominous feel to it - very much like the doom drones of SunnO)))). Sweet! Thanks for the heads up on that. So if I understand what I'm reading about this correctly - SW is actually playing a sculpture?? He is truly not of this world.

Shamefully, I did not learn about this until you told me about it. :( I'm listening to it now....very cool. It has a dark, ominous feel to it - very much like the doom drones of SunnO)))). Sweet! Thanks for the heads up on that. So if I understand what I'm reading about this correctly - SW is actually playing a sculpture?? He is truly not of this world.
Right? He is out of this world in more ways than one. And I love SunnO))))! Oh, and if you want more of the Pacific Codex type of music from SW, check out anything under the name of Bass Communion. It's truly some cool stuff. PC does have a dark, sinister feel to it. I imagine it would work well in a sci-fi flick, where it's nighttime, rainy (again with the rain, lol), creepy, as if you're being watched, sort of like some of the scenes from The Matrix. As minimal as PC sounds, there is a crapload of stuff going on the background. I hear different sounds every time I listen to it. I'd also recommend Ghosts on Magnetic Tape by SW under the Bass Communion moniker.

And Robert Fripp and King Crimson ... such cool music. I saw them play a few years back with Porcupine Tree's Gavin Harrison on drums. Epic show, I must say. It was weird, though, as the audience was probably 80 percent male. It was the first time in ages that I didn't have to wait in line for the ladies room at a show, haha.

Reactions: Dedalus