Naturebound1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been watching this community for a long time (like since 2014), and finally decided to join in the fun! I am already familiar with many of you here from other vegan/vegetarian communities, and someone recommended this community as a cool place to hang out.

This coming February will be my five year vegan anniversary. :) I'm a medical coder, and live in the upper midwest of the U.S. (where it is surprisingly warm for December). I love to write, to cook, to dance, to birdwatch, hike, cycle, camp, and read medical stuff lol.

Nice to meet you all!

I'm so excited!! Welcome, Naturebound!

My other name is karenlovessnow. [emoji1]

Reactions: Naturebound1
What is a medical coder, Nb ?

I read medical documentation such as consultations, operative reports, labs, radiology reports etc and decipher the correct diagnoses and procedures performed for a patient encounter, as well as comorbid conditions related to that encounter. I then translate these into alphanumeric codes (from CPT and ICD 10 coding systems) that are used to bill insurance companies etc for the services and products. The codes are also used for research and statistical purposes (for example assessing the number of breast cancer patients in a given population). It can be quite stressful sometimes because I code very high dollar services such as chemotherapy and anesthesia where the costs are phenomenal and errors can result in a lot of serious headaches lol. I also have to keep up with a certain level of production each day. Still, I love reading medical stuff and researching.

I read medical documentation such as consultations, operative reports, labs, radiology reports etc and decipher the correct diagnoses and procedures performed for a patient encounter, as well as comorbid conditions related to that encounter. I then translate these into alphanumeric codes (from CPT and ICD 10 coding systems) that are used to bill insurance companies etc for the services and products. The codes are also used for research and statistical purposes (for example assessing the number of breast cancer patients in a given population). It can be quite stressful sometimes because I code very high dollar services such as chemotherapy and anesthesia where the costs are phenomenal and errors can result in a lot of serious headaches lol. I also have to keep up with a certain level of production each day. Still, I love reading medical stuff and researching.
That is a very valued job at this time, so after you have had your position for a year or so, keep your resume updated and your eyes open. Some of the coding jobs are paying very well, with good working conditions, and there is a real shortage of coders. You are doing some of the most difficult types of coding, so your experience is very valuable.

Good to see you here. Your posts are always well thought out and informative, and you are an asset to any community.

Reactions: KLS52