Trader Joe's

I bought some Umami seasoning blend at TJ`s. It looks like it`ll work great when making veggie burgers. :)
I thought I heard that it could be a trigger for people with migraines?

It does sound good. I’m going to look for it next time I’m there.
Salt is the first ingrediant if that's an issue. As someone who really likes salt- and mushroom flavor- I found it troubling. Seemed like for the amount I wanted to use made things too salty. Like putting on rice or noodles. It does have a great flavor though.
I got a knock off of their Everything Bagel seasoning at a discount store and thought the same about the salt. I used it on a bagel and couldn't eat it

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
At little bit off-topic, but I've recently switched back to good ol' soy milk (unsweetened) from my standard almond milk. Since I've found myself making oatmeal a lot more lately, and I mostly use it for that, it seems like adding soy milk is a better idea than to add more oats (in milk form) to my oatmeal, or more almonds, for that matter, since I already put almonds on my oatmeal. I feels like I'm adding a completely different nutritional element to my oatmeal to add soy milk...

I found this recipe online, and I made it last week (Warning: it has a strong lentil flavour)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup rice, rinsed
  • 2 1/2 cups red lentils, uncooked, rinsed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 carrot, sliced, unpeeled
  • 1 potato, chopped, unpeeled
  • 1 courgette, sliced, unpeeled
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp dried dill powder
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 lemons
  1. Dissolve the 1/2 tsp salt in the 2 cups water. Cook the rice in the water.
  2. Add the lentils and the bay leaf to the 5 cups water, and bring to a rapid simmer. Turn it down to a gentle simmer and simmer the lentils for 15 minutes.
  3. Melt the coconut oil in a small pot. Once hot, add canola oil and sautee the vegetables, then add them to the lentils, as well as the flour. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
  4. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, dill and garlic to the sauce. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and add to the sauce. Remove the bay leaf and serve hot on the rice.
  5. Finished!

• Love
  • Friendly
Reactions: Nil and PTree15
I went to TJ's mainly for the Jumbo variety raisins and carton soy beverage. They discontinued my most favorite thing in oat meal :cry:
I bought their golden raisins, and they are no where near a replacement. They're just regular raisins, which I was never a fan of
I guess I'll be using dried cranberries now 🙄, maybe mix with the golden raisins. Better than the dark ones though

Soy beverage--won't be in till sometime in August. Another supply problem.

I wish I'd thought to get more soy chorizo--I didn't even look there. If the soy beverage and soy chorizo go I'll have no reason to even go to TJ's

Wow I didn’t realize how sleepy this thread was. I’m hoping to go today with my daughter after her car appointment. We had a coating of snow and the temps are below freezing so not sure how the roads will be. We do have to leave quite early…8;20 a.m.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I bought the umami seasoning because I wanted to try it with the roast I made for Thanksgiving. It had called for mushroom powder, and I think the umami seasoning might do the trick to give it some oomph. It was pretty good without it, but I think it will add some depth to the flavor.

I also bought a gift card there and some soda for a friend's birthday. She'll be happy camper.

@KLS52 Did you end up going to Trader Joe's?

@PTree15 yes, I did get there. But I forgot to look for the umami!! Darn darn darn, lol.

I decided to try a medium roast of the Trader Joe decaf. Big big big mistake. It’s so gross. Even mixing it kind of ruins my cup of coffee. I’m hoping husband will use it because I just can’t. I didn’t realize how much of a difference the dark roast makes. I’ve learned my lesson. I thought that just making the medium really strong would help but it doesn’t.

I decided to try a medium roast of the Trader Joe decaf. Big big big mistake. It’s so gross. Even mixing it kind of ruins my cup of coffee. I’m hoping husband will use it because I just can’t. I didn’t realize how much of a difference the dark roast makes. I’ve learned my lesson. I thought that just making the medium really strong would help but it doesn’t.

I found it to be a difficult task to buy coffee that I really liked. I opted for the organic TJ's medium roast. It was fine but not outstanding.

Just had my usual organic coffee from central America with soya milk and it tastes completely different. I arrived yesterday afternoon from California and woke up at 1 pm; so breakfast is lunch!:cool:

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52