New house - help!

RascalsMom

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I know I can skim the other threads, and I have a bit, and will continue to do so, but also wanted to make one more tailored to me. :p hope that's okay!

So I recently moved out of my parents house in Georgia, boyfriend and I moved to Ohio. We are renting a 3 bdrm house, and I really need a lot of tips and hints to get us started. There are tons of things I've read over the years that I've always said, "when I get my own place, I'm going to do that!" That now escape my mind. (My mom has her own way of doing things so it was hard to apply any frugal-ism while living there)

We have been trying to get furniture used as a way to save money. I've been looking a lot of Craigslist and get a lot at thrift stores. Anything else I should be doing? We really still need a lot for the house.

What are some ideas for getting the most out of grocery money? I've taken to emailing companies (only items I would already buy) and asking for coupons. I try to cook tasty but good meals. I'm still honestly learning to cook though so I feel like I make the same basic meals all the time. Help!

What about tips for things like cleaning, washing laundry, shampoo, etc? I know you guys have some good ideas for a young couple just starting out!! Throw them at me!!!

Sounds like a good start you got there.

Luckily the weather will be getting better so not only will you have the option of Craigslist and thrift stores, but garage sales! Also check your local newspaper ads for used furniture.

There are lots of coupon sites where you can print coupons off for good deals . www.coupons.com, www.redplum.com, www.smartsource.com are just a few. There are also printable coupons on store sites like Target and Walmart. Most grocery stores also have couponing sections on their sites. If you "like" businesses and companies then you can get inside info and coupons most of the time. Shopping at cheap discount stores like Aldi, Save A Lot, and dollar stores also helps. Be on the lookout for Farmer's markets in your area. And shop the discount racks at grocery stores.

Vinegar and baking soda both work well in regards to cleaning.

Congratulations on your new place. One thing I can mention is don't expect to find everything at once. I'm a major thrift shopper You will find things by and by.

I also look at things and wonder what else I can make it into. I do this a lot with fabric items.

My dishes are all from thrift shops. Corning ware and baking supplies.

Don't use as much laundry soap as the bottle or box recommends. I use much less. Air dry clothes. I live in an apartment and dry on my patio in the summer.

If you google for natural vegan cleaning supplies you can make, I know things like that are out there. Try Pinterest. I don't bother making my supplies because it's just me and I don't use all that much.

I second garage sales. You can not only find furniture, but dishes, cookware, decorative items and clothes. Get there early for best selection, late for discount prices but the selection may be limited.

For laundry, you can use half the suggested amount of detergent unless your clothes are really dirty. In good weather, hang them outside to dry.

On craigslist, check the free ads for fruit. Sometimes people with very prolific trees will offer the fruit if you are willing to pick it yourself. It saves them the trouble of having to clean it up.

Freecycle sometimes has furniture.

Yup - vinegar and baking soda meet pretty much all my cleaning needs. I started using them out of concern for my cats picking up residue of cleaners on their paws and then ingesting when they groomed themselves, and then when I adopted parrots, I had to be super careful about cleaning products because of their extreme sensitivities.

Nothing works as well as vinegar and water and old newspapers for cleaning windows and mirrors, BTW.

ETA: Spices, rice, pasta, tofu, vegetables and many other food items are much cheaper in ethnic markets.

Thank you for the tips, everyone! We've gotten some good deals so far:

A large wooden entertainment stand for the living room - $10

A large nice hand made kitchen table with four long bench seats. It's made from 150 year old barn wood, and has nice tiles on top. Normally he sells for around $400, we got for $100.

A nice little sofa for our guest room, kinda like a futon but it's a "click clack" a bit nicer and more comfy. It folds flat down into a bed, but the mattress isn't a separate piece like most futons, it's all one nice piece. Also from the same place, two big china cabinets, a crock pot and a lounge chair - all for $160. (It was originally everything but the chair for $150. But when we got there he asked if we wanted the chair, and I said we'd have to go get more cash. He said we could have it for $10)

An iron, a microwave, a toaster, a large cookie jar, 4 shirts for my nephew, pants for my nephew, a small lamp, lots of different little nicnacs, some for gifts, some for us, and 10 DVDS (a few of the DVDs are bonus pack things with multiple movies) - all for $14

We had some random misc stuff we both brough with us, but we still need a few things. Going to search for more deals. :)

Reactions: Amy SF
A fresh coat of paint brightens up everything. Yesterday, I spray-painted an old white wicker chair and the base of a table lamp and great shade of grass green for our porch.

Shop for spices in bulk rather than in jars or cans - you can buy tiny amounts and your food will taste fresher if the spices aren't old.

Share a meal when you eat out. Better yet, get a single carry-out meal, and take it along with hummus and pita chips and a bottle of wine somewhere pretty for a date-night picnic.

I would treat any used furniture for bed bugs.
Oh yeah!
Any time you bring anything from a thrift store or garage sale. Put it immediately in the washer on hot. Then dryer. Throw away the bag outside. Make that a routine.
When it gets hot out you can leave items in car with the windows closed for the duration of a day in the sun. I forget what temp kills bedbugs but dryer heat does, sun even more.
I'd never get used upholstery, but you can put in a garage and dust it with diatomacious earth. It's like a talc powder that will kill them.
Anyone disturbed by all this killing, know this--if you don't respond ASAP to bedbugs they will infest.
I know all this because it was from a bag from a thrift store that I left on my bed. I had always followed the above advice except for that one time. I was really allergic, and scratched in agony before I found them. Like a fine sprinkle of black pepper on the piping of my mattress. Just about a inch. I had an exterminator come, sprayed the room and bed and them I got rid of the bed. I have been fine since.
If I had not reacted as badly, or had not searched for them it would have been disaterous.