Nestle Purina Commits ‘Significant Violations’ at Pet Food Canning Plant

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I know this is an older story, but it says one of the issues was first discussed in 2007 and it still hasn't been corrected. So, it's doubtful anything else has been corrected.

Also, I found this hard, sharp piece of plastic in a can of their Friskies pate. I forgot which flavor, but it was probably the mixed grill. I sent it in to them and followed up on it today. They claim it's a normal ingredient in their food. Hard plastic is a normal ingredient?? I asked for them to send me a hard copy of the report, we'll see if they actually send it. The CS person had to ask for permission to send it first. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just wanted everyone to be aware, especially since there are similar stories on the internet of people finding plastic in their products. I've been feeding mine Fancy Feast, and recently gave them some cans of Friskies because I'm having trouble affording the FF or better food. But, after that answer they gave me about it being a regular ingredient, I don't feel safe feeding it to them. I know they are just trying to cover their rears and it isn't really an ingredient, but if they're being that sleazy about it, better safe than sorry.

In a warning letter issued to The Nestle Purina PetCare Company, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration found several “significant violations” in the manufacture and production of several brands of canned dog and cat food during an inspection last year.

Based on the FDA’s findings, the violations occurring at the pet food giant’s Allentown, Pennsylvania plant may result in cans of pet food that have been adulterated “in that they have been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have become contaminated with filth, or whereby they may have been rendered injurious to health.”

Inspectors found a total of six significant violations that could result in product that is dangerous for pets, including:

Nestle Purina Commits 'Significant Violations' at Pet Food Canning Plant - The Dogington Post

FDA Warning Letter Nestle Purina PetCare 1/2/15

IMG_6688 (600 x 450).jpg

Back when my cats first reached adulthood, they stopped eating the kitten food I gave them and I was searching for cat food they'd like. I opened a can of Purina, and pulled a strip of clear plastic from the food. I stopped buying that brand.

I haven't found anything non-edible, that I know of, since, fortunately.

Back when my cats first reached adulthood, they stopped eating the kitten food I gave them and I was searching for cat food they'd like. I opened a can of Purina, and pulled a strip of clear plastic from the food. I stopped buying that brand.

I haven't found anything non-edible, that I know of, since, fortunately.
That's scary.