Need help with a recipe again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Forum Legend
Reaction score

I was going to try this with tofu. Good idea or bad?

I just hate wasting time and money altering a recipe only to find I've screwed it up. :p
Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless adn skinless chicken breast tenders
1/2 cup cashews
1 garlic clove, minced
4 tbsps rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 tbsps ketchup
Directions:
  1. Mix flour & pepper in a big resealable food storage bag.
  2. Mix again, this time with the chicken.
  3. Heat oil in a pan over high flame.
  4. Add the chicken for 4 mins while flipping sides.
  5. Put the chicken in bag for slow cooking.
  6. Make the sauce in a bowl by combining soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes.
  7. Pour over chicken and cook (on low!) for 3 hrs.
  8. Mix with the cashews.
  9. Combine with rice for the complete experience.
  10. Add the sauce.

I'm not sure. The difference in texture is making me think, not so much. But if you actually fry the tofu first like you would the chicken, it might be ok. I keep thinking the tofu is too soft for such a recipe. Let us know if you decide to give it a go.

I think this is the sort of recipe in which tofu would substitute easily, but whenever I try something like this, it kind of flops. At least, it doesn't come out for me like it does when a restaurant prepares it.

I'm pretty sure you would use firm or extra-firm tofu for this, but beyond that, I don't know what to say. If this recipe has a name, maybe you could find a vegetarianized version in a good vegetarian or vegan cookbook? I know there's a recipe for "General Tso's Tofu", for example.

Scrap the instructions for cooking chicken. Tofu cooks very differently.

Make a coating consistency Tempura style batter; Strong white flour, salt & pepper, possibly a little chili and/or powder boullion, mixed with ice cold water. (Lumps in tempura batter = not a problem, btw)

Cut the tofu into strips, no less than 1/4" thick.

Coat the tofu strips in the batter and fry untill golden.

The strips will be quite fragile so I would use them in a way that avoids stirring or mixing.

I think that will work. GL!

Prehaps the following link will help. I find that tofu depending on the type and brand always has a different texture.

If you want to cook it in a casserole or stew type of dish, you can always cook the sauce first for the amount of time that is stated and add the tofu toward the end of the cooking time.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-tofu.php

Prehaps the following link will help. I find that tofu depending on the type and brand always has a different texture.
:yes:

I wonder if the old freeze and thaw method would be good for this particular recipe. I love the texture of tofu after its been frozen. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
:yes:

I wonder if the old freeze and thaw method would be good for this particular recipe. I love the texture of tofu after its been frozen. :)

I've never tried it. What is the texture like ?
I'm not a big fan of Tofu and eat it a few times a week. I must admit that my favourite tofu dish is either a burger or creamy lemon sauce with penne.

Edit : I don't want to die dumb, so have thrown a pack of tofu into the freezer. :D

I've never tried it. What is the texture like ?
I'm not a big fan of Tofu and eat it a few times a week. I must admit that my favourite tofu dish is either a burger or creamy lemon sauce with penne.

Edit : I don't want to die dumb, so have thrown a pack of tofu into the freezer. :D

That sounds yummy!

Frozen/thawed tofu takes on a more dense, chewy texture. You lose the soft, gelatinous texture which is great for some dishes but no so much for others. I suppose it really does just depend on personal preference. Some people eat tofu raw. Not something that I would like but I have gotten so used to it that when I am super lazy, I will microwave a slice of tofu with some Daiya cheese and put it between two pieces of toast, lol.

Reactions: PTree15 and Tom L.
That sounds yummy!

Frozen/thawed tofu takes on a more dense, chewy texture. You lose the soft, gelatinous texture which is great for some dishes but no so much for others. I suppose it really does just depend on personal preference. Some people eat tofu raw. Not something that I would like but I have gotten so used to it that when I am super lazy, I will microwave a slice of tofu with some Daiya cheese and put it between two pieces of toast, lol.

I don't think that I'm going to like ! Tofu burgers on the menu, thinks me. :D

Reactions: KLS52
Karen, I think you're one of the few people besides myself who will ever eat tofu uncooked. It vaguely reminds me of cottage cheese in texture and flavor, which isn't bad, but I really prefer firm or extra-firm.

Shyvas, creamy tofu lemon sauce sounds great, but I'm pretty sure that would be best with soft tofu. I might be wrong, though... like I said, my tofu home cuisine is definitely NOT ready for prime time.

Karen, I think you're one of the few people besides myself who will ever eat tofu uncooked. It vaguely reminds me of cottage cheese in texture and flavor, which isn't bad, but I really prefer firm or extra-firm.

Shyvas, creamy tofu lemon sauce sounds great, but I'm pretty sure that would be best with soft tofu. I might be wrong, though... like I said, my tofu home cuisine is definitely NOT ready for prime time.

We only get 3 types of tofu in my local stores; silken, semi firm or firm. I usually buy the latter as it is really cheaper than the 1 st 1 and have started experimenting with various recipes.
The secret to the sauce is to blend it with spices, lots of lemon peel and thicken it with the cooked pasta water. It comes out perfect everytime.

I'm not a fan of tofu so am trying to find recipes where you can't actually see it whole. :rolleyes:

Scrap the instructions for cooking chicken. Tofu cooks very differently.

Make a coating consistency Tempura style batter; Strong white flour, salt & pepper, possibly a little chili and/or powder boullion, mixed with ice cold water. (Lumps in tempura batter = not a problem, btw)

Cut the tofu into strips, no less than 1/4" thick.

Coat the tofu strips in the batter and fry untill golden.

The strips will be quite fragile so I would use them in a way that avoids stirring or mixing.

I think that will work. GL!

I think I will try this with the tofu I buy already cubed. It just seems to hold together so much better than when I slice or cube it myself.

I think this is the sort of recipe in which tofu would substitute easily, but whenever I try something like this, it kind of flops. At least, it doesn't come out for me like it does when a restaurant prepares it.

Same here. I have screwed up 2 recipes recently where I tried to use tofu for meat or dairy. I get tired of spending the time and money only to throw it in the trash. Yet if I have an actual recipe using tofu, it turns out much better, like tofu ricotta or cheesecake. So the problem is obviously me. :p

Frozen/thawed tofu is awesome. I do that, squeeze extra water out, and then marinate in any number of accidentally vegan marinades I've found in the store and bake. That is the one tofu dish I make without a recipe that I don't screw up.

I suppose Gardein might work in this recipe, but it's expensive and I like tofu better than fake meat.

^^^ I guess if something is REALLY nasty, you pretty much have to toss it. But I usually eat my failures and just make a point of not doing the recipe that way again. Actually, the only thing I've ever made anything "really nasty" to the point that it was inedible was something called carrot curry. It had a mix of sweetness and intense spices- I think I actually made it like it was supposed to be, but it was pretty bad.

I even ate the mauve chili I created when I was trying to experiment with new flavors for beans. (Okay, I ate it with my eyes mostly closed, but I did eat it...):lick::yuck:

Same here. I have screwed up 2 recipes recently where I tried to use tofu for meat or dairy. I get tired of spending the time and money only to throw it in the trash. Yet if I have an actual recipe using tofu, it turns out much better, like tofu ricotta or cheesecake. So the problem is obviously me. :p

Frozen/thawed tofu is awesome. I do that, squeeze extra water out, and then marinate in any number of accidentally vegan marinades I've found in the store and bake. That is the one tofu dish I make without a recipe that I don't screw up.

I suppose Gardein might work in this recipe, but it's expensive and I like tofu better than fake meat.

I cringe at the thought of throwing out food and wasting it. Will your dogs eat it? My dog loves tofu when I've given it to her on rare occasions when I don't want it or made too much.

They do eat a lot of my failures. They aren't picky. But if something is too spicy or oniony I don't give it to them.

Reactions: thefadedone
Status
Not open for further replies.