Natural Cat Food Recommendations

GingerFoxx

No effin' whey!
Reaction score
I just spent a couple frustrating hours researching online, in an effort to find a safe, affordable brand of natural cat food (wet and dry) to feed my fur kids.

Lately, I have been feeding them a combination of Blue Buffalo brand kibble and Innova brand wet food. I have heard mixed reviews on Blue Buffalo, as far as safety and quality. I picked up a bag of PetSmart's proprietary grain free food, Simply Nourish to try, but I was not able to find much information on it. I was also looking into Wellness brand, and Holistic Select, but again, the reviews are all over the place.

Has anyone here done research and found some reliable brands they trust that don't break the bank?

I just spent a couple frustrating hours researching online, in an effort to find a safe, affordable brand of natural cat food (wet and dry) to feed my fur kids.

Lately, I have been feeding them a combination of Blue Buffalo brand kibble and Innova brand wet food. I have heard mixed reviews on Blue Buffalo, as far as safety and quality. I picked up a bag of PetSmart's proprietary grain free food, Simply Nourish to try, but I was not able to find much information on it. I was also looking into Wellness brand, and Holistic Select, but again, the reviews are all over the place.

Has anyone here done research and found some reliable brands they trust that don't break the bank?

What kind of information are you looking for GF. It looks like their ingredients and % of nutrients of the above product, on the site is quite informative.

I am trying to find a brand that is safe and affordable. I see a lot of conflicting information regarding recalls and companies that source ingredients from questionable places. One site suggests Blue Buffalo is great, or Wellness, the next says there was a recall and their food is making cats sick and resulting in massive vet bills for things like urine crystals and goodness knows what else.​

I am trying to find a brand that is safe and affordable. I see a lot of conflicting information regarding recalls and companies that source ingredients from questionable places. One site suggests Blue Buffalo is great, or Wellness, the next says there was a recall and their food is making cats sick and resulting in massive vet bills for things like urine crystals and goodness knows what else.​

Prehaps your vet or assistant could advise you.

AFAIK, Blue Buffalo and Merrick both source all ingredients from the US. Nothing from China.

Wet food is actually much better for cats than dry, though mine does eat some Merrick dry.

Wet food is ideal, nutritionally, but 6yr old cat really doesn't care for it, so I have to mix it in with dry to get her to eat. She's a VERY fussy eater and a tiny 6lbs, on top of that, so I am just glad she is taking in calories. My youngest, who is two years old and a muscular 12lbs and will pretty much eat anything. My oldest, who is 8yrs old and a lean 10/11lbs is not quite as food motivated, but usually eats what he is given.

I have sent a Facebook message to my [vegan] vet. We discussed ingredient sourcing and different brands at my last visit, but it seems like the selection is always changing and sometimes foods reformulate or have recalls that they try to sweep under the rug. I just want to get a much input as possible to make a good decision.