NASA launched this record into space in 1977. Now, you can own your own copy.

carrotcake

Newcomer
Reaction score
Anyone remember this thing? I've always wanted one.
-
A NASA-created phonograph album — the “Voyager Golden Record” — is floating in space in search of a listener. It’s a mix tape “intended to communicate a story of our world to extraterrestrials,”.

Of course, the extraterrestrials have to stumble upon it and figure out how to make it play.

NASA launched two copies of the album — which contains spoken greetings in 55 languages, music by Bach and Chuck Berry, and even songs by humpback whales — into space in 1977 on the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecrafts. It did not include a record player.

Until recently, the album hasn’t been made public except to donors of a Kickstarter campaign by Ozma Records, which raised nearly $1.4 million to issue a limited number of copies on vinyl.
-

The full article is here: NASA launched this record into space in 1977. Now, you can own your own copy.

Saturday Night Live in 1978 mentioned this record in one of their sketches. I remember it like it just aired.

NBC has the clip on their streaming app. It’s the only place on the internet I can find it. If you don’t have the app and don’t want to install it, here’s the transcript:

SNL Transcripts: Steve Martin: 04/22/78: Next Week in Review

Last edited:
Reactions: silva