My pet hate is …

My latest pet hate is “professionals” who deal unthinkingly with the very people they are supposed to be helping.

A few years back my wife was taken to hospital by our son because of a damaged ankle. He was asked to take her by wheelchair to the appropriate place for examination. On arrival a nurse looked over my wife’s head at our son and asked, “Does it have MS?”

I recently had a spell in hospital. One nurse, brandishing clipboard and pencil, approached another at the foot of my bed and asked, “Is bed 14 going home tonight?”

So, my wife is an “it” and I am a “number”. How deep into the gloomy pit of unworthiness does that place us? :)

Ne te confundant illegitimi.

Roger.

Reactions: kelli
  • I suppose... I annoy myself a little bit, every now and then.
  • Other big one is social situations with people I don't know well.
  • Hand shaking. Eye contact. Perfume. Tobacco smoke. (honestly, I just don't like it. I'm sorry if that is offensive.)
  • And yeah, crazy homicidal drivers, like Sax mentioned.
  • Littering, that has been mentioned also. Basically when people fail at being thoughtful, even though I know it can be hard some days to take others into consideration. Humans aren't perfect, but when others leave stuff laying around, someone has to clean it up eventually, so please try your best.

These would also be my pet hates. Reckless driving would be very high up on my list.:mad: I would also add people that don't listen and talk non stop about themselves.:unamused:

Do you mean not making eye contact when you state 'eye contact' ? :)

So......why is that ? :D
Lol...I’m not sure but I do it quite often. Sometimes, I want to get a bit of dramatic effect, I think. If I start out with “so”, I feel like it’s a shorter version of, “guess what happened to me today” or “you’re not going to believe this”, without having to type out all those words.
I also use the word “like”, which I would think would be more annoying lol. I don’t do it often but again it’s if I’m trying to make a point/show effect.

Reactions: PTree15
Lol...I’m not sure but I do it quite often. Sometimes, I want to get a bit of dramatic effect, I think. If I start out with “so”, I feel like it’s a shorter version of, “guess what happened to me today” or “you’re not going to believe this”, without having to type out all those words.
I also use the word “like”, which I would think would be more annoying lol. I don’t do it often but again it’s if I’m trying to make a point/show effect.

I think that most people have a tendency to use the same vocabulary. I saw or read about this fact and it's amazing that most people only use a small number of words.

People who start sentences with "So"
"So" many times I find myself editing that out of my messages to people - mostly to my office mates at work via chat to ask them a random question. I have started replacing it with "Hey," or simply "Question: ...". In conversation, though, with my son - all the time, #guilty ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Brian W and KLS52
my cat meowing for food non stop at 4 am
waking up early
shaving
dyeing my hair to cover grey hair
fake people
rude people
people talk loudly on the phone
winter
know it alls
when people say no offence then say something offensive
when someone sneezes or cough but does not cover their mouth
chapped lips
people that chew their nails
putting make up on so i look less gross

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52, Val and Sax
When people say 'et cetera' as 'eck sedera', and even worse is when it is represented as 'ect' in text.

That's about it, oh and people who do shitty things to other beings.

When people say 'et cetera' as 'eck sedera', and even worse is when it is represented as 'ect' in text.

That's about it, oh and people who do shitty things to other beings.

I find that people that mispronounce words like that are not readers. My pet peeve is when people use a non-word "acrosst or acrossed" and it is because when people use the word across it is normally followed by the word "the" as in 'across the street' and so many people, who don't read, hear that as 'acrosst'. Once you start hearing it it is hard not to flinch....

Emma JC