My pet hate is …

rogerjolly

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
One of my pet hates is waste of any description but especially the waste of food. The idea that producers for supermarkets have to discard carrots if they are not “perfectly” shaped drives me to distraction.

Call me extremist but …..

· I always leave a perfectly clean plate even to the point of mopping up any juices with pieces of bread.

· The remnants left on the bread board are scooped up; especially so with breads that have been coated with seeds.

· You can relive one of your childhood joys by scraping out the bowl used to make the icing for the chocolate cake.

· It is said that the most nutritious part of a potato is the skin. Baked potatoes are a favourite and of course the Irish have a great tradition of scrubbing instead of peeling them before boiling.

· Most Brits throw out the tops of beetroot having never heard of what Canadians and Americans call beet greens. Cook them as though they are spinach.

· The best part of a desert apple is the core! Admittedly some bits can get stuck between the teeth but there is the beautifully bitter taste from biting into a pip.

Roger.

- Lights left on in an empty room, but especially fluorescent lights, the eternal symbol of post-industrial capitalism
- People who won't wash out their bottles and jars for the recycling bin (don't make the trash man wash the trash)
- Plastic water bottles
- Environmentalists who eat meat unapologetically, especially those in the profession who know better
- Vegans who apologize for being vegan, who hate other vegans more than omnis, that whole business of being the Uncle Tom of veganism...what should we start calling them? Uncle Steaks?
- Tinder dates who inform me they don't "mind" vegans or vegan food...like great, I don't "mind" that Mormon people exist either but I'm probably not going to date one.
- People who blatantly misunderstand basic science that is at the high school or community college level, like not knowing the carbon cycle so arguing that "carbon is good for plants so therefore more CO2 is not dangerous and cannot cause global warming" as well as "people are at the top of the food chain" first of all...there's no food "chain" and there hasn't been one since second grade...etc and so forth

I hate a lot of people. I should go live in a yurt which I only leave periodically to go to protests and animal rescues.

Drivers who get ****** off that I'm riding my bike in the road. Oh, you had to push on a brake pedal a little bit with your foot and then turn your steering wheel a few degrees? Emotionally stable people don't endanger other's lives over minor inconveniences....there are a LOT of emotionally unstable people out there. You own a car, not the road!

But it's the people who use phones while driving I'm more concerned about. If a driver is mad at me at least they see me. Driving while on the phone is almost as dangerous as driving drunk, and it needs to be as socially and legally unacceptable as drunk driving.

Okay, that's more than a pet hate.

I hate when my cats jump from my window sill onto my bed in the middle of the night.

I hate when people bring me an old, piece of crap bike they want to "restore" because of it's sentimental value. Where was that sentimental value when you let it rot outside for years?!

I hate when the grocery store doesn't have ripe avocados.

Reactions: kelli and Andy_T
Being asked what I eat as if I am on a restrictive diet.

Being told by omnis that vegans will cause the death of all farm animals.

Omnis acting like being vegan is just too much hard work and requires loads of prep time but they insist a Sunday roast doesn't take any real effort.

Plugs left switched on when you aren't using the device it powers (except when charging obviously)

Lights left on after leaving the room and doors left open then complaining it's cold.

Reactions: kelli
My second hobby horse pet hate is ……… litter.

Cadair Idris is reputedly the second most popular mountain in Wales. Until this week it was the one Welsh high peak that had for decades beckoned me but been neglected.

At a sheltered viewpoint I was greeted by sundry litter including the peels of six bananas and an orange. There seems to be an attitude that if it’s bio-degradable then it’s not really litter. It amazes me that walkers, of all people, can leave rubbish behind them which diminishes the pleasure of others. If they can transport it up then surely they can transport it down.

So I filled the litter bag I always carry, (It’s not a pleasant job picking up semi-decayed banana peel!), and took it down with me. My one consolation was that there were numerous egg shells amongst the waste so the miscreants were certainly not vegan. :)

The two days I spent on Idris were absolutely splendid. The mountain embraces the magnificent Cwm Cau which, for me, far outrivals any other.

Roger.

Reactions: kelli
Omnis acting like being vegan is just too much hard work and requires loads of prep time but they insist a Sunday roast doesn't take any real effort.

YES!!!!! Seriously! Sure, at first it takes some effort learning what has hidden animal ingredients and what doesn't, and how to cook some vegan things if unfamiliar with them, but seriously- meat can take SO long to cook!

Reactions: Lesley
Pet hate or pet peeve, the modifier "pet" makes it seem like it's not a passionate hate, and I'm not sure I want to disclose those...

Pet peeves include:

People making a left turn into a side street (right turn for those living in countries where you drive on the right instead of the left) who will slow down and turn from the highway lane instead of the side lane, making all traffic in their lane have to slow down for them unnecessarily.

Females who call me "mate". It's something guys say to guys here...if your a female who says it to a guy I usually get butch/lesbian vibes or at the least a whiff of the type of feminism that I disagree with.

People who stink. Usually meat eaters who rarely shower or those who do but don't use breath mints.

Pet owners who are irresponsible with their pets, especially dog owners who are irresponsible with dangerous/aggressive dogs in public areas.

Special Snowflakes on message boards that ***** when you shatter their illusions and work to have you removed. Such is the case on another mb I was at not long ago.

Getting into the hate area...

I can't stand false people who seek advantage by flattery. These people are smart enough to figure out the insecurities/likes/dislikes of friends and then use them to turn them against you for their own selfish reasons.

Males with WhiteKnight Syndrome and females with Persecuted Princess syndrome. Some of the characters I have met displaying these attributes are among the lowest people I have come into contact with and will freely falsely slander others if they think it elevates their social standing or whatever other selfish pursuit they are following.

Pauline Xianty. Jesus I like, His teachings I like - your religion though? No.

Reactions: FlandersOD
Yesterday I went out and had a nice time in the nearest city, treating myself to shopping and outings before classes start again on Tuesday.

Apparently one of my cashiers or food servers yesterday was a criminally minded creep who apparently wrote down my credit card number or took a photo of it while they held it for a transaction. Today I got a call from my bank's fraud department that over $1500 of suspicious charges had been made. I am glad they caught it because I wasn't looking at my bank statement at all, and when I did look ,wow this shithead really went on an on-line shopping spree: Nike, Footlocker, Wal Mart (all companies I hate, by the way!) as well as three charges to a company I'd never heard of for the biggest chunk of the money spent.

I'm fortunate to have a chunk of money still in the bank due to student disbursements, and am able to pay a bill or two thanks to a feature called on-line temporary card, but can't actually use my card in a public place for like a week until they mail me a new one.

And it possibly might take a minute to be refunded the full almost-1600 that was stolen.

Sheesh.

I think what really gripes me about it is that I did nothing to provoke the behavior. I was dressed rather dowdily yesterday since it was pouring rain, I did have a cute tee shirt on, but over a thermal shirt with rain pants and boots, my hair up in a ball cap and no make up. So I didn't look like some wealthy, luxurious woman who was rubbing it in the workers faces that I had more money than them. I looked just like a student or an average middle class local person, not a tourist. I mean, the rain pants should have been a dead giveaway I live in the area.

I also didn't voice any offensive politics in any setting I where I shopped, nothing at all, not even about being vegan. When I ordered food I did so politely and with no extraneous fuss. I honestly think this happened though in a tavern where I had two glasses of local wine, not even a restaurant.

I say that because the bartender "ran a tab" and it seemed nice enough, atmospheric with wood paneling and velveteen curtains, pseudo-candelabras, I was getting a kick out of the place, really capitalizing on the Victorian history in NorCal or seeming like a bar out of Twin Peaks, the original 90s version. I liked the place!

I'll be okay. Like I said, I have the temp online card for bill pay if I need it, and I'm all stocked up on anything else I need after shopping. It's just a bummer that some creep has to cast a shadow on my "treat yourself" day out. My main concern is getting all (or at least most) of the fraudulent money returned. As a full time student, I really need it in the long term. Not today but in a couple of months, in the middle of the semester when I only work one or two days a week.

How do you this was
I think what really gripes me about it is that I did nothing to provoke the behavior. I was dressed rather dowdily yesterday since it was pouring rain, I did have a cute tee shirt on, but over a thermal shirt with rain pants and boots, my hair up in a ball cap and no make up. So I didn't look like some wealthy, luxurious woman who was rubbing it in the workers faces that I had more money than them. I looked just like a student or an average middle class local person, not a tourist. I mean, the rain pants should have been a dead giveaway I live in the area.

I also didn't voice any offensive politics in any setting I where I shopped, nothing at all, not even about being vegan. When I ordered food I did so politely and with no extraneous fuss. I honestly think this happened though in a tavern where I had two glasses of local wine, not even a restaurant.

I say that because the bartender "ran a tab" and it seemed nice enough, atmospheric with wood paneling and velveteen curtains, pseudo-candelabras, I was getting a kick out of the place, really capitalizing on the Victorian history in NorCal or seeming like a bar out of Twin Peaks, the original 90s version. I liked the place!

I'll be okay. Like I said, I have the temp online card for bill pay if I need it, and I'm all stocked up on anything else I need after shopping. It's just a bummer that some creep has to cast a shadow on my "treat yourself" day out. My main concern is getting all (or at least most) of the fraudulent money returned. As a full time student, I really need it in the long term. Not today but in a couple of months, in the middle of the semester when I only work one or two days a week.
How do you know this was a person you've met? Because I've had my data stolen and used a number of occasions. It's usually done from card skimmers that the establishments where the criminals install them have no clue that there even there. Or, your information was simply part of a data breach and was sold asking with thousands of others. It happens a gajillion times/day.

How do you this was

How do you know this was a person you've met? Because I've had my data stolen and used a number of occasions. It's usually done from card skimmers that the establishments where the criminals install them have no clue that there even there. Or, your information was simply part of a data breach and was sold asking with thousands of others. It happens a gajillion times/day.

Well I'd actually hope this isn't someone I met but just part of a criminal system, because it's more awful to think someone who had seen me intentionally stole my information. I am neither wealthy enough nor established enough in credit that this has happened to me repeatedly so this is a new experience for me. The one other time it happened to me in any capacity, someone bought some men's suits somewhere but the buying stopped after the single purchase, so I was just like whatever. This was weird and intense, a lot of money, and the timing was indeed odd to me having gone out shopping the day before.

Well I'd actually hope this isn't someone I met but just part of a criminal system, because it's more awful to think someone who had seen me intentionally stole my information. I am neither wealthy enough nor established enough in credit that this has happened to me repeatedly so this is a new experience for me. The one other time it happened to me in any capacity, someone bought some men's suits somewhere but the buying stopped after the single purchase, so I was just like whatever. This was weird and intense, a lot of money, and the timing was indeed odd to me having gone out shopping the day before.
Unless you know *for sure* that is someone you know, it's highly unlikely this is personal. Speaking as a computer security professional.
The are beaches all the time, and a really huge one just just recently. The things are veryvery ra personal, unless you're someone in a high position with a lot of power.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
  • I suppose... I annoy myself a little bit, every now and then.
  • Other big one is social situations with people I don't know well.
  • Hand shaking. Eye contact. Perfume. Tobacco smoke. (honestly, I just don't like it. I'm sorry if that is offensive.)
  • And yeah, crazy homicidal drivers, like Sax mentioned.
  • Littering, that has been mentioned also. Basically when people fail at being thoughtful, even though I know it can be hard some days to take others into consideration. Humans aren't perfect, but when others leave stuff laying around, someone has to clean it up eventually, so please try your best.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
Almost forgot:
When people complain about small things, like the weather.
What can I do about it if it rains?! It rains and it's cold and it winds, because we live in a Nordic country, in case you haven't noticed!
And to be honest, I don't care, so get away from me, if you don't have anything nice to say.
I like the weather. Usually.
And usually, I have other things in mind.

Why do people complain about weather? Does anyone know?

I get annoyed when people complain about small things... And here I am... complaining about small things...

I had the same thing happen to me once. I was so happy that the bank called me right away in person and I didn't have to pay any money. I did have to get a new card, too. Since then I have made it a habit to have at least two credit cards, even if you don't use it - it's like a spare tire or a backup. Just for emergencies.
The worst thing was that it was a bit of hassle to get all my automatic payments set up right.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Some things that annoy me in Skyrim:
When the Blades assume that my Khajiit character Yuela is just going to kill Paarthurnax, only because he is a Dragon, and has done some bad things in the past, decades ago, or I don't know how long ago. Paarthurnax is like a father Yuela never had, so not gonna happen.
When Dawnguard is thinking that Yuela should assassinate this vampire, who is experiencing a middle-age crisis and thinks that he is a bard. Yuela has been tailing him, and he doesn't do anything illegal. He is polite and funny: "Of course I'm a bard. I just... Lost my lute. And these red eyes? Well...You see, my father was a Dark Elf." He kinda belongs to that tavern, with that Orc who thinks that he is a writer, but doesn't write anything and that old soldier who is now a bitter drunk.

Why Yuelas friends are so homicidal, for no good reason, all of a sudden? Did they get bored when Yuela and Kharjo killed Alduin and Lord Harkon and saved the World?
I got things mixed up... Kharjo wasn't actually there, during those particular quests, but Kharjo is forever in her heart, so he still kind of was there.

• Haha
Reactions: TofuRobot
Did I say something wrong...?
I meant that my pet hate in Skyrim. Let me explain... Most players just kill everyone they are supposed to, but I'm weird in a sense that, I get emotionally involved and want to do the "right" thing, instead of just aiming to levelling up.
I suppose that my post still belongs to this tread, even though it isn't very relevant in real world... But, honestly, I don't know. Should I delete my post?

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
Did I say something wrong...?
I meant that my pet hate in Skyrim. Let me explain... Most players just kill everyone they are supposed to, but I'm weird in a sense that, I get emotionally involved and want to do the "right" thing, instead of just aiming to levelling up.
I suppose that my post still belongs to this tread, even though it isn't very relevant in real world... But, honestly, I don't know. Should I delete my post?

No, no. You did nothing wrong.

I meant WTF in a good way. Like between laughing.

Me Bad. Should have written it this way

W :laughing:T:grinning: F :laughing: