My Boyfriend's Ex Just Married

coralyn

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or whatever. Okay well, yes, I've been stalking my boyfriend's ex.. They broke up four years ago after a one year relationship. And I saw how devastated he was.

He's not the sweetest guy on the planet but he's alright. He beats me sometimes and he's the one who tells me I'm not that pretty and stuff. I felt that I had to include that so you know where my anxiety may be coming from.

A few days ago, I found him acting really weird.. He wont talk to me and would shout at me about the simplest things like forgetting to bring him a spoon.

Yesterday, I checked Facebook (aka stalked his ex) and found that the girl married on Nov 4th.. The guy he married looks a lot like my boyfriend. Same built, same facial hair, the tattoos.

I don't know what to think. I need something obviously. I haven't had a good sleep.

Hello, everyone. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or whatever. Okay well, yes, I've been stalking my boyfriend's ex.. They broke up four years ago after a one year relationship. And I saw how devastated he was.

He's not the sweetest guy on the planet but he's alright. He beats me sometimes and he's the one who tells me I'm not that pretty and stuff. I felt that I had to include that so you know where my anxiety may be coming from.

A few days ago, I found him acting really weird.. He wont talk to me and would shout at me about the simplest things like forgetting to bring him a spoon.

Yesterday, I checked Facebook (aka stalked his ex) and found that the girl married on Nov 4th.. The guy he married looks a lot like my boyfriend. Same built, same facial hair, the tattoos.

I don't know what to think. I need something obviously. I haven't had a good sleep.

My first question is, why do you care that your BF's ex got married? If the relationship is over, there are no kids involved, and there are no legal and/or financial issues between them left unsolved, what's the big deal? She's moved on and so should you.

Second of all, having read the entire post, why are you with someone who beats you and tells you you're not pretty? You should run like hell from this guy. No relationship is worth that kind of BF. You're better than that. Are you living together? If so, pack up your stuff and get the heck out of there. Go to a battered women's shelter if there is one available near you. You need help, my dear. :hug:

My first question is, why do you care that your BF's ex got married? If the relationship is over, there are no kids involved, and there are no legal and/or financial issues between them left unsolved, what's the big deal? She's moved on and so should you.

Second of all, having read the entire post, why are you with someone who beats you and tells you you're not pretty? You should run like hell from this guy. No relationship is worth that kind of BF. You're better than that. Are you living together? If so, pack up your stuff and get the heck out of there. Go to a battered women's shelter if there is one available near you. You need help, my dear. :hug:

I just feel like he still loves this girl.. She seems a lot better after all. I've got a lot of maybes and what ifs..

Sometimes I want to, sometimes I feel like I still love him, sometimes I'm scared of him and FOR him. I don't know what will happen to him if I leave him. I'd like to be the girl who changes him..

I'd like to be the girl who changes him..

I wouldn't do that Coralyn.

If he changes you will be out because he won't want/need a punch bag anymore.

Better idea would be to change yourself from a punch bag into something else.

If he needs the new you more than he wants/needs a punch bag then he will have to change himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and Dedalus
Coralyn, I'd suggest two things - first, leave. Physical violence is a danger klaxon for a relationship. Get out, and get out now. If you don't have a place to go, look for a local organization.

Second, I'd suggest counseling. Please, go. You should love yourself, and if you're with a guy who tells you that you aren't pretty and beats you, I don't think you do love yourself.

--

And now for VV: Really, do you think we could err on the side of caution here? Yes, people post fake stuff online all the time, but y'know, these are serious claims, and why don't we treat the thread as a serious thread until proven otherwise?

As we all know forums can sometimes attract trolls so being cautious is sometimes the way to regard new posters.

Saying that, if this is a genuine post then I think that you need to distance yourself from your partner as he is clearly physically and emotionally abusing you.

Reactions: Freesia
Sometimes I want to, sometimes I feel like I still love him, sometimes I'm scared of him and FOR him. I don't know what will happen to him if I leave him. I'd like to be the girl who changes him..

Hi Coralyn

You may change him . And equally you may not. But the likelihood is that you will go down with the ship trying.

Often in relationships we get caught up in thinking that everything wrong in the relationship would be right if he did this or didnt do that.

The truth is that often that we have entered into such relationships unwittingly, precisely because they are wrong.

We feed, and feed on the disfunction in a crazy co-dependancy spiral where we need to be abused or disrespected and this person can be guaranteed to provide that service.

We convince ourselves that we are disappointed and disillusioned and our lives are miserable through no fault of our own, when in reality all we need to do is to get our coats and leave. We stay because our self esteem is so low that secretly we believe this is all we deserve.

We attempt to rescue them , solve them, rebuild them into normal acceptable human beings completely disregarding the fact that if they ever become this they will disregard the exhausted emotional wrecks that we have become in the process. We will not have a role . They were with us not because we were strong, confident partners but because we were weak and our validation is through them and not ourselves.

I know this because..

I met a man who was an alcoholic. I dearly wanted to be the woman that changed him. I completely disregarded the fact that his wife and long term partner before had tried and failed. The difference was that their self-respect had made them get their coats and leave very quickly while I hung around believing that I was the one that would finally do it.

I thought he was with me because I was funny and kind. He was with me because I listened and took pity on him. But mostly because I fetched bottles of whisky from the shop at seven in the morning.

I thought I was with him because he was funny and kind and would be a great bloke if..he did this and didnt do that. I was with him because I felt needed and he complimented me and built me up when he wanted me to fetch bottles of whisky from the shopa at seven in the morning.

I cleaned up broken glass, vomit and poo disappointed and disillusioned with my life when all I had to do was get my coat and leave.

I stayed because I didnt know how he would manage if I left. He would have easily found a replacement we are ten a penny.

Finally, one day in Argos as he stood swilling whisky from behind a brown paper bag, insulting both me and the shop assistant . I saw myself as the assistant was seeing me and I did finally decide to get my coat and leave.

Later after being bombarded by emotive phone calls he descended so far into alchol abuse that he would never return. He blamed me over and over for this. If I had not left him he would of changed he said. Look what you did to me. He died and for months, I thought it was my fault because I should have been the one to change him and I failed.

Pity I did not put the same effort and emotion into changing myself instead of him. Changing him was his job after all.

^ I think it takes a lot of will and courage to do what you did.

I agree with erring on the side of caution. I'd rather risk feeding a troll than telling a domestic abuse victim that I didn't believe them.

Anyway! It could simply just be that he thought he'd be married first, or he's still a bit bitter about the breakup. I would try not to read too much into it. I can imagine several friends also getting moody about an ex getting married but not nessecarily still being in love with them. HOWEVER, as others have said, if he is beating you and insulting you, you deserve better than that. People like that never change, and try to emotionally blackmail you into staying. Your life is more important than that.

Reactions: coralyn and KLS52

Move on, honey. He's convinced you that you are not worthy, but that's just his trapping you to stay. Has he alienated you from family and friends? It's just going to get worse, and what if you had a child with him? Would you want him to be the father of your daughter that he "sometimes" hits and degrades? Get on out from the toxicity, breathe some fresh air in the country and eat some hearty vegan meals. (((Hugs)))

Reactions: coralyn and Freesia
Hello everyone. I don't know what to say. This is not an attempt to get attention. Nor a fake account. I mean come on people. I'm trying to pour my heart out here.. Sigh.

Thank you to everyone who replied, though.

I'm sure everybody have had their own demons, too. You guys fought them. And they made you stronger.. Maybe that's what I needed to do, too.

I went home last night and my mom talked to me about him. I told her everything and it felt great actually. She said I should dump him before I get caught in a point of no turning back.. Like if he gets me pregnant or something.

I haven't gone back to his place for almost 24 hours and I have received 3 calls and 12 messages from him. He was crying on the phone begging for me to come back. I don't know what to do.

Sorry Coralyn, didn't mean to be rude....think it was because you are a new poster I just assumed it was a lot of personal info to give straight away & came to the wrong conclusion. Wishing you all the best.

I haven't gone back to his place for almost 24 hours and I have received 3 calls and 12 messages from him. He was crying on the phone begging for me to come back. I don't know what to do.

Listen to your Mom. Dump him, cut him out of your life, and don't EVER look back.

Hello everyone. I don't know what to say. This is not an attempt to get attention. Nor a fake account. I mean come on people. I'm trying to pour my heart out here.. Sigh.

Thank you to everyone who replied, though.

I'm sure everybody have had their own demons, too. You guys fought them. And they made you stronger.. Maybe that's what I needed to do, too.

I went home last night and my mom talked to me about him. I told her everything and it felt great actually. She said I should dump him before I get caught in a point of no turning back.. Like if he gets me pregnant or something.

Do not answer his calls he will just continue to pile on the emotional blackmail if you interact with him

Do not answer his calls he will just continue to pile on the emotional blackmail if you interact with him

She's right. He's manipulating you. Women with low self esteem believe that nobody else could ever love them, ever care about them, and staying with someone abusive is better than being alone. That is NOT true. Stay away from him, don't respond to his pleadings.

Guys like this tell you you're not pretty, that you're dumb, etc., because they need to undermine you so that you will think that you have no other options and therefore will stay with them. The crying and begging you to come back when you do leave is also very much par for the course. They are pathetic losers who know no self respecting woman will want to be in the same room with them, so they do what they can to destroy your self respect.