UK Must I grind all seeds?

Mark Mywordz

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
For quite a while now I have been adding nuts, seeds, cinnamon etc. to my breakfast bowl of muesli. I grind the chia seeds and the flax seeds. Now I have started adding a tablespoon of seeds from a packet labeled "mixed seeds". Should I grind these too? It seems logical, since the aim of grinding seeds is to make sure that they don't just pass through the intestine without being digested. The seed mixture includes sunflower, sesame, pumpkin (these are peeled), brown flax and poppy.
I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this.
Peter

I would think at least some seeds don't need grinding, like sunflower and pumpkin seeds, because they're big enough that we tend to chew them. Poppy seeds are very small, so we don't tend to chew them, but they might be fragile enough that the stomach acids can do the job without chewing? Am I right in thinking poppy seeds can sometimes lead to false positives on drug tests? If so, that might be evidence you don't need to grind them?

I would think at least some seeds don't need grinding, like sunflower and pumpkin seeds, because they're big enough that we tend to chew them. Poppy seeds are very small, so we don't tend to chew them, but they might be fragile enough that the stomach acids can do the job without chewing? Am I right in thinking poppy seeds can sometimes lead to false positives on drug tests? If so, that might be evidence you don't need to grind them?
Thank you for that, IS. I've missed the boat for a career in international sport, so a false positive on drug tests shouldn't arise in my case, should it?