Music Music videos discussion

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm watching/listening to this mash-up video with Africa by Toto as the sound track, and the visuals featuring Kristen Bell, her husband Dax Shepard and a whole bunch of white people. There are only one or two token black people, which seems a bit odd considering a lot of the video is actually from Africa. But still, it's a lovely video.

Anyway, what is the actual meaning of this song, does anyone know? Afraid I've never really thought too much about it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
Anyway, what is the actual meaning of this song, does anyone know? Afraid I've never really thought too much about it!
For me, it's pretty obvious that this song is about love and hope for love. (And Africa, as a continent, has nothing to do with it,- i take it, the composer just loved the sound, rhythm and colorite of percussions he used in the arrangement). It frequently occurs: a composer has an initial idea, which (if to analyze) can even not match the expressive means that have been used to bring this very idea to life.
I think the following lines reflect the main plot (not idea) of this song:
"She's coming in, 12:30 flight.
The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation".
The protagonist of this song is waiting for the woman he loves, and he has doubts about his future (he even wants some old man to tell him the fortune/predict the future), and he sees the stars, that are being reflected on the surface of her plane's wings, as a symbol of his "salvation", only because it's HER plane.
The idea is pretty clear as well (the degree of affection towards this woman is clearly described in these words):
"It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you,
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do".
:)

Reactions: Second Summer
Thanks @Val - that makes a lot of sense. I had been thinking I probably listen to that song too much, but now it's clear I've not been listening enough! This line also stands out to me: "I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become". So he's waiting for a woman who is going to be his "salvation", to cure him of whatever bad personally trait he has and/or set him on a better coarse in life or something along those lines? I guess you're right that the whole Africa theme is just added for aesthetic reasons - I think it works quite well, though!

to cure him of whatever bad personally trait he has and/or set him on a better coarse in life
And... also these lines:
"Gonna take some time to do the things we never had".
And these ones are apparently about the author himself:
"The wild dogs cry out in the night,
As they grow restless longing for some solitary company".
:)

Reactions: Second Summer