Lifestyle
  1. Other
1 litre of apple(organic is better) juice
1 cinnamon stick
A pinch of Nutmeg
1 orange or 3 mandarines
3 sticks of cloves
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tbs of Muscovado sugar to taste or sweetener (optional)

Stick the cloves into the orange or mandarins.
Pour the juice into a saucepan.
Add all the other ingredients and gently simmer for 20 minutes.
Cover and leave to seep for approx. 15 minutes.
Strain and add to glasses and serve.

Tip : A festive pre dinner drink for teetotallers. Add any other spices that you like.
Taste the mulled juice before serving and if too sweet, dilute with a little water.

vl0010b049.jpg

Reactions: Dedalus
I'm invited to Christmas brunch (British) on Sunday morning and thought that this would make
an original gift instead of wine.:D

I used cloudy apple juice and ground cinnamon and lots of orange peel and extract. I omitted the sweetener
as I'm not keen on very sweet drinks. I served it very warm in a glass and it came out perfect.
However I was the only one to drink it as everyone else was having punch or Champagne.;)

I only nibbled a few nuts as there was absolutely no vegetarian food served and even the mince pies were out of bounds.:eek:
I made my-self a nice salad when I got home. This is not the first time that I've done so after having been invited.

That stinks. Sorry you had to starve. :( At least there was more mulled apple juice for you! I'm going to take this to our staff party next week. It would hold up well in a crock pot,right?

That stinks. Sorry you had to starve. :( At least there was more mulled apple juice for you! I'm going to take this to our staff party next week. It would hold up well in a crock pot,right?

Yes it would actually be a good idea as it really has to be served very warm. I would also suggest that you
taste it as depending on the apple juice you may need to add a tiny bit of water.The quality of the apple juice
is also important.

Luckily I had a huge bowl of porridge for breakfast and ate lunch upon arrival. Makes me wonder whether
I should ask to bring some of my own food over next time ? :confused:

As the weather is very chilly, I must make a note to make some mulled apple juice. I find that you obtain a better result using cloudy organic juice;

I find that you don't really need to add any extra sugar or sweetener so I would suggest to taste it first.

Yes!Love love love the stuff! The beauty of this recipe is that it can be adapted to taste. Planning on taking it again to the Meat and Cheese Fest (aka staff Christmas party) along with several vegan options. Don't want another plate of crackers and pickles this year!

Yes!Love love love the stuff! The beauty of this recipe is that it can be adapted to taste. Planning on taking it again to the Meat and Cheese Fest (aka staff Christmas party) along with several vegan options. Don't want another plate of crackers and pickles this year!

Yes, that's right. If you don't have the clementines, you can add a few drops of orange extract. Sub the cinnamon stick for powder etc.
It really a nice inviting drink for guests that pop over for nibbles, on a cold winter's evening.

Reactions: sallyomally
I do this with orange juice and cranberry juice (2:1) and usually some star anise, ginger and cloves too. :) I love the idea of apple juice, or maybe cider for evenings :D

Reactions: sallyomally
I do this with orange juice and cranberry juice (2:1) and usually some star anise, ginger and cloves too. :) I love the idea of apple juice, or maybe cider for evenings :D

Cider is also fabulous as a mulled drink. I like all the Christmassy flavours ; cinammon, cloves, oranges and cranberries. Which reminds me that it will soon be time to make some mincemeat.