Movie: Are You Here

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I am putting this thread here because much of the movie is about vegetarianism (sort of).

Owen Wilson and Zach Galifianakis play a couple of stoners involved in a "bromance." Owen plays a marginally functional weatherman; Zach plays a bipolar man often out of touch with reality. Zach is a vegetarian, with various ideals about living in harmony with nature and the like.

Zach eventually gets medicated and becomes more "normal." This process of "normalization" leads him to put his ideals on the shelf and start eating meat and salmon.

I don't think the writer and director of the movie were trying to slam vegetarianism as such, but they were suggesting that Zach's vegetarianism was somehow tied in with his mania, with his perceiving himself as grandiose and as better than other people.

Also notable, in my opinion, is a scene in which Owen's girlfriend challenges him to kill the chicken they are going to eat for dinner. Owen, after having some qualms, chops off its head with an ax. It seemed to be a graphically explicit and realistic scene. (Although in reality, of course, no animals were actually harmed in shooting the film.)

I wonder whether anyone else has seen this film (panned by the critics). If so, what were your thoughts?