Most "real" veggie meats for a kid?

Wolfie

Forum Legend
Reaction score
So my nephew has decided he wants to go vegetarian and unfortunately isn't getting any help from his parents. This is a kid who has lived on fast food, hot dogs, burgers, sugar, basically the SAD his whole life. I did buy him some Morningstar veggie sausage and don't think he was all that impressed, though he made it in the microwave when in my opinion many fake meats are better in the oven or skillet. Anyway, now he's asking me if there are any veggie burgers that taste like real burgers. It's been so long since I've tried any of the fake meats and there are so many new ones. I'm not a fan of stuff that tastes too realistic but I think the more "real" the better for him. Any suggestions? It doesn't need to be vegan, just vegetarian. I'm not sure he could *ever* go vegan because he's just too darn picky. So what are the most realistic tasting burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, typical kid foods available?

You don't say how old your nephew is. I have never tasted a veggie burger that tastes like meat and think that his taste buds have to get some adjusting. I also find that roasting, grilling and sautéed food usually does taste better than microwaved food. It is also important to serve the burger etc with a nice side dish. The goal is to try and make him enjoy tasty, filling and healthy veggie food. Could you not make him a nice meal from time to time and see how he likes his 'new' food ?

From what you're saying he mainly lives off junk food. Furthermore, his parents aren't going to give him much encouragement.

whatever burger he has, it would be about 10 times better with fried onions.

I like Yves good deli and Tofurkey slices for making 'cold cut' type sandwiches. Those products helped my transition a lot. Gardein's fake chicken fingers and sliders are pretty convincing, as well. I've heard good things about their fishless filets as well, but I can't vouch for those personally as I never cared for fish even as an omni. I was, however, the picky kid who lived off of the SAD, much like your nephew is. :p So there is hope for him!!!

Reactions: ledboots
Any chance you could help him learn some basic cooking skills? Maybe just tell him he needs to learn to make at least a small handful of dishes if he wants to survive as a vegetarian in a meat-centered society.

There are these burgers from morning star farms they are meatless burgers "veggie burgers". I have a really picky appetite - It was different at first, but now I love it. It didn't taste like a hamburger but it wasn't bad at all I liked it alot.. I just thought I'd share my experience of meatless burgers with you.

There are these burgers from morning star farms they are meatless burgers "veggie burgers". I have a really picky appetite - It was different at first, but now I love it. It didn't taste like a hamburger but it wasn't bad at all I liked it alot.. I just thought I'd share my experience of meatless burgers with you.

Yes, they are delicious.

Gardein and Tofukey products are quite good. Also you can try Boca chik'n patties, yummy for kids