Mosquitos-scheduled for extinction/Am I still Vegan?

JacobEdward

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I do my absolute best to not kill ants and other little critters...
Are they Sentient? Idk... "Err on the side of Compassion"
Mosquitos and other blood sucking insects are sufficiently different...
I get that if there's an afterlife where all of my shortsightedness wasnt in the way anymore I would see somehow that genocidal rage of these little pests wasting my time is out of alignment... somehow... but I would argue from a purist perspective it was over before the thought even occurred to me to go vegan... my distracted accidental swatting away having killed enough to the point accidentally where I will always be in the red so I may as well kill them all!?!?!? what sort of sophist is going to argue mosquitos have more of a right to life in this world than I would of having a right to a life without mosquitos?!?! surely that minimal leap could be made by even toddlers, the purpose of this world is not to have humans exist for mosquitos to bite...
the purpose of this world is for humans and not mosquitos... the foundational authoritative reference, philosophical bedrock
tombstone-159792_960_720.png
download.jpg

• Haha
  • Friendly
Reactions: EllieW and Lou
it is an interesting discussion... I live in a high rise, ten floors up and we had an invasion of tiny ants a couple of weeks ago - am I supposed to allow them to multiply and spread? I didn't.... I mixed baking soda and icing sugar together and put it down for them and that definitely helped and then I picked up a small pack of the commercial version of the ant trap and they were gone within a day - did they move to a neighbour's or did they die? I am not sure but I am certain that allowing bugs of any type or mice or rats that spread disease to thrive in your home is not good - poisoning ants is hard enough, if we had mice and rats.... that would be challenging

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: EllieW and Lou
What ever you do, please don't use glue traps. I recently saw a video on youtube where a mouse got stuck. They either slowly starve to death or bite off a limb an still die. Luckily this mouse got saved by a vet. They used olive oil and it was very slow process.

maybe the most helpful thing to keep in mind is the current accepted definition of the word vegan does not include the words "killing" or "exterminating" - just "exploiting"

So the killing of fleas, mosquitoes, termites, ticks, etc in self defense is allowable.

Just don't raise them to eat them - that would be exploitation.

:)

One might also pose a utilitarian argument. If exterminating mosquitoes saves a million children.....

There may be ecological reasons to preserve mosquitoes - do they provide food for fishes? spiders?

So maybe there is a way where we can coexist with mosquitoes.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC