More vegan news

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
First off is that Morning Star is going All Vegan. The company says by 2021 all of their products will be vegan. This includes the patties they sell to Burger King. Therefore sometime by 2021 Burger King will be the largest fast food chain to offer a vegan burger. Right now it's Carl Jr's.

The next article is supposed to be just informative. But I have some little bones to pick.

First of all, in California, anyone can be a Nutritionist. There is no certificate, or degree, or licensing test, credential, or administrative body. If you want those things you should be asking a Registered Dietician. Maybe in some states or countries, it's different. it sort of annoys me when news outlets elevate "nutritionists". Although maybe the guy who wrote the headline used the word "nutritionist" cause he thought it sounded better. The article is written by an RD.

Next problem is this quote.

All proteins, whether plant or animal, are made up of a chain of amino acids. Animal proteins are considered complete proteins because they have all nine of the essential amino acids that your body needs to support protein tissues in the body. Most plant proteins are lacking in one or more of these nine building blocks.

It might be quibbling but all plants do contain all nine essential amino acids. They may contain them in less than optimum ratios. but they are all there. You can even obtain all the essential amino acids if all you ate was lettuce. Ok, sure you would have to eat lettuce by the bucketful. According to Chronometer, you could meet all your protein requirements (except for cysteine) with 7 heads of lettuce. Which by the way is only 700 calories. I'm not suggesting an all lettuce diet. I just want to make a point that all plants have all the amino acids.

If you haven't read this article by Michael Bluejay, then maybe put in on your ToDo list. it is an excellent article on Plant Protein.
https://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

While I may not partake in the offerings, this can't come quick enough. Good news.

Working towards that tipping point.

Reactions: Emma JC
Um... You don't eat chickpeas? Because some of your best friends are chickpeas?

I'm dying. :joy:

Mainly because I avoid fast food when I can, but with the new Impossible burger rollout, if it gets to my area I am definitely partaking.