Vegan Mincemeat Crumble Cake

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
250 g plain Kamut or Spelt flour or a blend.
120 ground almonds ( almond meal)
225 g Vegan butter (chilled)
120 g light brown or Muscovado sugar
1 pinch of salt
500 g Vegan sweet mincemeat
200 g finely chopped (tart) apples
olive oil or neutral oil
vanilla extract (optional)

Put the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and rub the vegan butter with fingertips. You could
also use a pastry cutter or the FP. You should obtain a slightly sticky coarse breadcrumb texture.
Leave to rest in a cool place.
Sautee the finely chopped apples in a pan with a little vegan butter or olive oil until slightly cooked. Add the vanilla extract. Leave to cool. You may need to add a bit of sugar if the apples are tart.
Grease and line a 20 cm square baking tin with greased baking paper that overlaps the tin.
Add 2/3 of the crumble mixture, pressing down very firmly.
Add a layer of apple, mincemeat in alternate layers.
Add the remaining crumble mixture over the mincemeat and cover.Do not press down the crumble.
Bake oven 180°C 40 - 45 mins until golden brown. If using a fan assisted reduce 10%.
Leave to cool before serving.
Cut into squares and serves with either vegan cream (Oatly with vanilla extract added) or ice cream.

Tip: You can substitute pear or persimmon fruit for the apples. Omit fruit and add an extra 200 g of mincemeat.
You could also serve this as a Christmas cake by dusting it with icing sugar and putting an individual Christmas figure decoration on each slice.
It does tastes better when it is slighlty warm. You can gently warm each slice in the microwave oven.
It also freezes perfectly. Just wrap each individual slice in paper and put into a container or ziploc bag.

3869576297_c2d075f6ff_m.jpg

3870361076_bc74a8f5c0_m.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Trinity
I would love that! :lick:
What kind of pre-made mince meat is vegan? In U.S.?
Or have a recipe?

I would love that! :lick:
What kind of pre-made mince meat is vegan? In U.S.?
Or have a recipe?

There is a recipe in this section i.e. Festive/holiday recipes. I've never seen any store brand vegan mincemeat.
It is really very easy to make and you can store it in the fridge.

The cake is really a winner and goes down well during the Christimas season.

I think I've got some vegan mincemeat int' cupboard from a few years ago....might make a simple crumble with it.