For the migas:
- You will need:
- 1 14-ounce package soft tofu , drained and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 3 corn tortillas (preferably stale) torn into strips
- Pinch of ground turmeric (optional,it's used to turn the tofu yellow to resemble eggs)
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chile, finely diced, (seeded if less heat is desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile or smoked paprika
- 4 green onions trimmed and chopped (including green parts)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese of choice
- 8 corn tortillas , warmed
Prepare tortilla strips:
Add 1 tsp oil to skillet,(make sure it's nice and hot), and add tortilla strips. Saute' till brown and crisp,transfer to a plate.
Add remaining oil to skillet, crumble tofu into various sized pieces, add spices,onion and salt.
Cook, stirring often,until water has evaporated (be careful not to cook too long,you don't want the tofu to become dry and hard-it should be tender , like scrambled eggs).
Add remaining ingredients, and stir till cheese is melted (about 3 minutes or so).
Any fresh veggies can be added;red bell pepper, corn,finely chopped zucchini or yellow squash and so forth. This yumminess doesn't have to be served for breakfast; it makes a very nice supper as well.
Serve with salsa and warmed tortillas.