Microsoft offers users $100 credit on a new PC to switch from XP

GL to those switching to windows 8, it isn't easy :p Pro tip: Classic shell makes it easier.
I think getting a refurbished windows 7 computer would be better. The switch would be easier and sometimes there are really awesome refurbished deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots and Mel
I have Vista at the moment, which is fine for what I use the computer for.....I'm dreading my computer breaking and then ending up with an OS that I can't understand....I'll have to bear 'classic shell' in mind, if it isn't hidden in some strange way.

I have Vista at the moment, which is fine for what I use the computer for.....I'm dreading my computer breaking and then ending up with an OS that I can't understand....I'll have to bear 'classic shell' in mind, if it isn't hidden in some strange way.

For the most part, my Win8 desktop looks like my old Win7 machine (that inexplicably died), but a lot of default programs open up in the "tile mode" desktop. For example, when I double-click on a photo it opens in a Windows App instead of the old Windows Picture Viewer. If I right click it and click preview instead it opens in the latter. It's just a workaround for now, but at some point I'll look around in the default applications setting to see if I can't change it. I do want Win7 back, but for now I am adapting.

It doesn't come with the computer, if that's what you mean.
http://www.classicshell.net/

Reactions: ledboots
The last PC I bought came with Vista software but the hard drive was clean. I installed XP on it, eventually upgraded it to Vista, downgraded it back to XP, and finally upgraded it to 7. The PC has since stopped working.