Message about push notifications?

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
I've received a message once or twice when logging on to VV, asking if I want to allow "push notifications" from a website (I think from VV, but I'm not really sure). I didn't know what they are, so I googled the term. I don't have a cell phone at all, let alone a "smart" one- and unless that situation changes, I get the impression that I can't receive them, whether I allow them or not.

Indian Summer, I'll allow them if you want me to.

I've received a message once or twice when logging on to VV, asking if I want to allow "push notifications" from a website (I think from VV, but I'm not really sure). I didn't know what they are, so I googled the term. I don't have a cell phone at all, let alone a "smart" one- and unless that situation changes, I get the impression that I can't receive them, whether I allow them or not.

Indian Summer, I'll allow them if you want me to.
Hi Tom - push notifications also work with a regular browser (except Safari ...) on a desktop / laptop computer. Let's say your computer has been turned off for a few hours, then you start it up and open the browser, and without actually visiting VV the browser will show you the VV notifications.

I'm sorry if the forum is nagging about enabling this feature every time you visit, though ...

To clarify, push notifications on VV will show the same notifications as you get in the VV alerts (i.e. the little bell icon at the top of the pages), just that you don't have to visit VV to receive them.

Thanks, @Indian Summer .

I don't own a computer at the moment. The only computer I use regularly (with a consistent IP address) is at work- but I'm not supposed to use the computer at my workstation for non-work-related activities. I log on to VV from public library computers; I get the impression the push notifications would pop up for whoever used that computer next. Anyway, that message didn't come up today.

I log on to VV from public library computers; I get the impression the push notifications would pop up for whoever used that computer next. Anyway, that message didn't come up today.
Most public library computers I've come across, in recent times at least, will erase all cookies and presumably any other changes, like push notifications, once you log out.