Medical Tips for Our Animal Families

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Living with non-humans is an endless process of learning, including learning about health issues. This is a thread for sharing about that.

Something I stumbled across while reading Amazon reviews, and which has made life much easier this past year and a half, during which we've been medicating an unusually high number of cats:

Empty/fillable gel caps. I put cut pills in these, as well as uncut pills. They go down easier than pills, with the pill plunger that I recommended a while back in another thread, and the cats don't get a taste of the medicine. They have made medicating so very easy!

I also use them for liquid medicine that's bitter/unpleasant tasting, but with liquids, you have to fill them immediately before dosing, since the liquid starts softening the capsules right away.

I now keep #2, #3, and #4 gel caps on hand. (The higher the number, the smaller the gel caps.)

They also work with dogs who are sensitive to the taste of meds. With most dogs, you can use larger gel caps, for instance, #0, or #00.

Sounds like a great tip! I had to give medication for giardia to 10 cats- very, very nasty! Are you certain they dissolve the same?

Cali has the herpes virus that causes eye discharge and irritation. She's been getting these lysine treats that help immensely-
Optixcare 60 Count L-Lysine Chews for Cats & Kittens
from amazon for $18. for 60. They're big and I break in thirds. She loves them too.
amazon links never post.

Sounds like a great tip! I had to give medication for giardia to 10 cats- very, very nasty! Are you certain they dissolve the same?

Cali has the herpes virus that causes eye discharge and irritation. She's been getting these lysine treats that help immensely-
Optixcare 60 Count L-Lysine Chews for Cats & Kittens
from amazon for $18. for 60. They're big and I break in thirds. She loves them too.
amazon links never post.
Yes, they dissolve just fine. They're the same as the ones the compounding pharmacy uses for meds that have to be compounded specially for some of the cats.