Omni Roommates.

Garrett Smith

Newcomer
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
  2. Strict vegetarian
I'm moving. I have to because the rent is going way up.

The place I wanted to move, the girl stated that she likes to eat and cook meat

> What are you looking for in roommates? Are you ok with someone who eats/ cooks meat?

Not really.

> Unfortunately, I cook and eat meat. Not sure if this is a deal-breaker for you?

Does she have no regard for any animals or people? It doesn't sound like "oh, I sometimes" or "I'll try not to bother you." More like: Here's how it is and if you don't like it, too bad. Yeah, this might be an issue.

I want to think I can handle living there because I want to and need to move out… How can I tell for sure if this woman is really the rotten c she appears to be?

I'm moving. I have to because the rent is going way up.

The place I wanted to move, the girl stated that she likes to eat and cook meat

Not really.

Does she have no regard for any animals or people? It doesn't sound like "oh, I sometimes" or "I'll try not to bother you." More like: Here's how it is and if you don't like it, too bad. Yeah, this might be an issue.

I want to think I can handle living there because I want to and need to move out… How can I tell for sure if this woman is really the rotten c she appears to be?
Sounds like you've already made up your mind, and her as well.
I would guess she's had interactions with people who were veg and doesn't want to hear about it, and you don't want any part of dealing with that kind of person.
If someone cooks meat, and has the upper hand, I wouldn't expect them to really care about you, meat eating room mates are easy to find
Do you have to stay in CA?

I would suggest you live with someone who is at least a vegetarian. I know vegans who point blank refuse to live with roommates unless it's a partner or known vegan friend. I have live with flexitarians, vegetarians, and vegans, and I can tell you that people who don't see an ethical problem with meat are NOT trustworthy. Had a roommate who claimed to be vegetarian who started eating "grass fed beef" after starving himself on avocados and quinoa. Had others who left nasty dishes with pieces of animal bodies in the sink for days or wrappers for meat on the counter, then acted like I was "intense" for having boundaries in my home, in which I had lived much longer than them, with most of the utilities in my name.

Carnists are entitled bunch of ritualistic religious fanatics and bullies who act like eating animal products is equivalent with a human right, even if they're in YOUR house.

Don't move in to HER house. I've had enough problems with MY house.

I don't include particular political parties in this assessment, While conservatives on average tend to be worse, there are liberals who are "secular humanists." Feel free to research animal rights philosophical arguments with humanists on-line. Humanism sounds great in theory, like you're this nice compassionate person. It also means you prioritize human happiness above all else, which is something a 3 year old hopes for. I began to understand why conservative religious people bemoaned the rise of liberal humanism. Some of them were total racist creepy jerks, but some of them had a very solid point - these people live for nothing but themselves, or their own and their friends temporary happiness. It's extremely troubling. Mainstream liberals are just as guilty for factory farms and the environmental crisis as the mainstream right wing, anyone who tells you differently is naive.

I want to qualify this by saying it may actually be WORSE in very liberal communities. While the very liberal or leftist may be extremely tolerant towards vegans and even be sympathetic or flexitarian et al. they also are more likely to believe in an abhorrent form of LeVeyan Satanism left over from the 60s or 70s. Don't be surprised if the Manson family moves in promising to be a spiritual vegatarian.

My first round of roommates in this house consisted of another vegan, a flexitarian from a small town on the East coast, and a good ol' redneck boy. I think there is a possibility that Republicans from Marietta, GA may have more a general respect for your home and your "other religion" than a person from the modern liberal pool in a highly urbanized state. These were hands down the most respectful non-vegans I lived with.

My current roommates are two other vegans, and a flexitarian who is a California girl but a very responsible type who married young and this is her first place living divorced and free. My neighbors are similar. Forestry majors married at 19 or something. Reasonable nice people who bring me soyrizo.

[I NOTE THIS PERSON WAS BANNED BUT I HAVE LOTS OF ADVICE TO GIVE FROM THE PAST 5+ YEARS ON THIS SUBJECT]