Meat/Fish/White flour still in my supplies

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I usually bought in bulk on sales prior to considering becoming vegan. I have a half a year's supply of pork - chicken - beef - fish - turkey - fish - commercial salad dressings - white flour pasta and 2 bags of sugar (which I just used for coffee).
I'm now 65% Vegan. I'm sure many other folks found themselves in this situation as they were converting. I can't afford to throw 150 meals out, I have stopped buying the items above. I sometimes think a healthy vegan might suggest that finishing this "stuff" might appear to save a monetary loss but then cost you your health (the sugar is easy, I will toss or give it away.) I take solace in the fact that by the beginning of this summer, I'll be 100% Vegan. Comments? Thanks in advance.

If you have a habbit of keeping recites and their still closed return them to store you bought them for an demand a refund.
it's at-least worth an attempt.

Reactions: zki
Ive only been vegan this time around for about 2 months, but back when i made the decision, i had some items that i knew no one else in my house would eat, and i didnt want them anymore, my sons best friends family is going through a hard time, i gave my stuff to them. I also gave some to my folks.
Edit: maybe call your local food pantry and see if they can give you a tax write off if you decide to donate all that meat and flour.

As long as you don't buy anymore....
IMHO it is ok to consume anything animal-related that you bought before you decided to go vegan. Usually, that is just a few things. And sometimes they do last a long time. Your case seems to be sort of extreme but I do think it's ok to go ahead and consume that stuff.

There is no right or wrong way to transition. or how long you transition. I think I was transitioning for like 15 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Luis Halson and zki
Food waste is such an irresponsible thing that it's impractical to throw out food... but the amount you have stashed! I'd try to sell the more expensive items and donate the rest, if you can afford to donate. Worse case scenario you can cook some of it when hosting or for potlucks and eat the rest while you can still bear to eat it. In my experience, it gets harder to compromise and eat non vegan once you're invested in being vegan. Good luck!

I have a half a year's supply of pork - chicken - beef - fish - turkey - fish - commercial salad dressings - white flour pasta and 2 bags of sugar.

There's no rush, gradually finish what you've got, it not like meat etc is unhealthy. Go Flexitarian for a year or so, then decide what you want to do. Cut down on sugar rather than cold turkey.

There's no rush, gradually finish what you've got, it not like meat etc is unhealthy.

Not entirely true. The American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Cancer Society do not particularly recommend eating beef or pork:

Reactions: FlandersOD and Lou