Meat-eating shock jock goes 1 week vegan

ledboots

Peace
Reaction score
A radio disc jockey in my town is eating vegan for a week on a bet. He is a very overweight, southern, bbq-eating redneck whose show appeals to the same, as a rule. Ten or so years ago, he slaughtered and bbqed a pig live on air to imitate some tv reality show. (He was tried and found not guilty of animal cruelty :rolleyes:.)

Now he watched Glass Houses, and he is a few days into eating vegan on a bet. He has a wonderful vegan PETA spokeswoman guest on air now, and she brought vegan sausage and (US southern style) biscuits and he went nuts how good they were. He said, paraphrasing, "This is not hard, eating vegan. I won't stay vegan after this week, but it is wrong how these animals are treated and slaughtered. I will eat mostly vegetarian from now on. I found a guy who raises eggs in the backyard and I will buy eggs only from him."

This guy is an insulting, purposely shock jock who always said his favorite food is Hooters chicken wings. (Peta woman told him about Gardein wings). He says he is the most unvegan guy who ever lived, and he now loves rice milk, hates factory farming, and says eating vegan "isn't hard. If I can do it, anyone can."

His name is Bubba The Love Sponge :rolleyes: if you're curious.

The world is changing, my friends. :D:D

Very cool story. Hopefully his positive attitude towards veganism will rub off on some of his listeners and make them a bit more open minded about going vegan themselves.

Very cool story. Hopefully his positive attitude towards veganism will rub off on some of his listeners and make them a bit more open minded about going vegan themselves.
He had a few callers who sounded like they were really listening, even talking about the horrors of factory farming. The peta rep is bringing the dj more vegan food on air each day this week, apparently, so he probably will bring it up again each morning.

He is such a jackass that the cynical part of me thinks he is probably trying to revamp his image and gain some female listeners, but he is being real about it from what I heard. He described going to a meat barbeque and eating tofu dogs and salad. "No problem."
:)

Isn't he that douche that called the deaths in the Haiti quake a "cleanse?"

As for the subject matter at hand, it sounds like doing a vegan thing is exactly the type of thing that would shock and offend the great thinkers of his audience. Hopefully some good comes of this, at least.

I hope he isn't back on in a couple of months, decrying veg*nism and saying how hard and unhealthy and stupid it is. I tend not to trust the motives of guys like this.
Yeah I can just see Tyson or Cargill paying this guy to say he's gone vegan for one week, and then telling everyone how sick it made him. :rolleyes:

This. I love that veganism is at least getting out there. I was watching NCIS: LA last night, and there was a scene in which a character was going to cook a meal for everyone. He asked whether there were any vegetarians and/or vegans. Now, granted, it wasn't asked in the most positive of attitudes, but it was asked. Maybe a writer on the show is veggie or something :D.

Reactions: ledboots
Isn't he that douche that called the deaths in the Haiti quake a "cleanse?"

Wow this guy really is an *******.

I hope he isn't back on in a couple of months, decrying veg*nism and saying how hard and unhealthy and stupid it is. I tend not to trust the motives of guys like this.
Yeah I can just see Tyson or Cargill paying this guy to say he's gone vegan for one week, and then telling everyone how sick it made him. :rolleyes:

Ugh I hope not. Even if this does tend to be the outcome of this transition, I can only hope that he was able to convince at least one of his listeners to go vegan and NOT look back.

Wow this guy really is an *******.

Ugh I hope not. Even if this does tend to be the outcome of this transition, I can only hope that he was able to convince at least one of his listeners to go vegan and NOT look back.
So far he has been very positive about it, not whining about cheese or anything. He is such a jerk, honestly, that I really expected this to be a vegan bash fest. But peta (not my usual favorite) sent a smart young woman with a sense of humor, and she hit just the right note with him.
An interview with her on fur. http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionables/peta-2012-1/

Doubt he's been the most un-vegan man to ever live, but that's awesome xD

Doubt he's been the most un-vegan man to ever live, but that's awesome xD
I'm not sure that's true; he may be! :-D

Here are a few tidbits about Bubba the Love Sponge Clem. :rolleyes:
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oc...bubba-love-sponge-lawsuit-settlement-20121029
One down, two to go. Hulk Hogan has settled his sex-tape lawsuit against former buddy Bubba the Love Sponge, though suits against the disc jockey's ex-wife and Gawker Media are still out there.The lawsuits, filed two weeks ago, revolve around a 6-year-old security-camera tape showing the former wrestler (real name Terry Bollea) having consensual sex with Heather Clem. She's since divorced Bubba (born Todd Clem) after marrying him in 2007, with Hogan as best man."

"Clem also insulted crosstown competitor WKLQ, in particular Danny Czekalinski (better known as Danny Douglas) who worked at WKLQ during the evening, calling Douglas a homosexual and at one point claiming that Douglas had AIDS. After Roger's Department Store canceled their account with WGRD, management at the station met with Clem and explicitly told him what he couldn't say on the air.

Clem also apologized to Douglas, but less than a week later Clem once again disparaged Douglas on the air. On December 20, 1988, a 13-year-old-girl listening to the show called Clem to defend Douglas. Clem made sexual references to Danny and to the 13-year-old female caller and was fired the next day.[]" per wiki

And also from wiki :
On February 27, 2001, while on the air at WXTB in Tampa, Florida, Clem slaughtered and barbecued a wild Florida boar that had been captured by a professional hunter. Sound effects of hogs feeding were broadcast to lead listeners to believe the hog was being harassed and aggravated. Based on the incident Clem, his Executive Producer Brent Hatley, and two other people were charged with animal cruelty.[citation needed] The trial received coverage outside Florida including Court TV. All four defendants were acquitted by the jury.[citation needed]"
----------

He is like Howard Stern sexist, but add to that a southern redneck who owns a car race track and a chicken sauce company. For this guy to talk positively about veganism and negatively about factory farms is a real paradigm shift for him and his listeners.

. He visited an egg farm over the weekend, and the lettuce ladies from peta are supposed to be on the show this morning, bringing vegan food. I am listening to his show for the first time this morning to see what he says about veganism. He is so obnoxious!

Too bad veganism doesn't cure *******-ism. This guy sounds like a real piece of work. Such a horrible man.

It's great that he is learning to be compassionate towards animals, but he seems to lack total respect and compassion for humans.

He is so much worse than Howard Stern. Plus Howard Stern has been vegetarian for awhile now.

Oh, I only know Stern from years ago as a sexist jerk, but haven't heard him on radio in decades. I just used him as an example of a famous shock jock. :)

So I heard some of this Bubba's show this morning. He talked about how his bowel movements are perfect now since eating vegan food (a few days lol). He still has nothing but good things to say about eating this way, and he says he may remain a vegetarian after the week's trial, but not vegan. I was expecting listeners to call up and vegan bash, but so far, no. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
Sometimes people need a SHOCK in order to change! Hopefully, veganism will help him grow up.
This is kind of awesome news. We don't only need nice Ellen-types to go veg*n. We need everyone to!...eventually :)

Oh, I only know Stern from years ago as a sexist jerk, but haven't heard him on radio in decades. I just used him as an example of a famous shock jock. :)

So I heard some of this Bubba's show this morning. He talked about how his bowel movements are perfect now since eating vegan food (a few days lol). He still has nothing but good things to say about eating this way, and he says he may remain a vegetarian after the week's trial, but not vegan. I was expecting listeners to call up and vegan bash, but so far, no. :)

I keep telling my dad that if he ate healthier (even as an omni), that area of his health would improve.
I think it's awesome that Bubba might stay veggie. If someone like him can give more exposure to veganism/vegetarianism, that's great. Even if one person goes veggie because of him, I will take it. You have to start somewhere.

Reactions: mary1 and ledboots
So I heard some of this Bubba's show this morning. He talked about how his bowel movements are perfect now since eating vegan food (a few days lol).

It always amazed me how people stuck with the Atkins diet despite being constipated for days on end. I had a friend on Atkins and he would be so bloated and uncomfortable from constipation. He usually went several days without bowel movements. On days where he actually went he would do a "happy poop dance". :p
It's mind boggling how all these people assumed that eating nothing but meats, cheese and not pooping for days was healthy.:fp:

It always amazed me how people stuck with the Atkins diet despite being constipated for days on end. I had a friend on Atkins and he would be so bloated and uncomfortable from constipation. He usually went several days without bowel movements. On days where he actually went he would do a "happy poop dance". :p
It's mind boggling how all these people assumed that eating nothing but meats, cheese and not pooping for days was healthy.:fp:

I had an aunt who was *horrified* that I ate so many apples and oranges, because didn't I know they were high in carbs? Ugh.

I'm not sure that's true; he may be! :-D

Here are a few tidbits about Bubba the Love Sponge Clem. :rolleyes:
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oc...bubba-love-sponge-lawsuit-settlement-20121029
One down, two to go. Hulk Hogan has settled his sex-tape lawsuit against former buddy Bubba the Love Sponge, though suits against the disc jockey's ex-wife and Gawker Media are still out there.The lawsuits, filed two weeks ago, revolve around a 6-year-old security-camera tape showing the former wrestler (real name Terry Bollea) having consensual sex with Heather Clem. She's since divorced Bubba (born Todd Clem) after marrying him in 2007, with Hogan as best man."

"Clem also insulted crosstown competitor WKLQ, in particular Danny Czekalinski (better known as Danny Douglas) who worked at WKLQ during the evening, calling Douglas a homosexual and at one point claiming that Douglas had AIDS. After Roger's Department Store canceled their account with WGRD, management at the station met with Clem and explicitly told him what he couldn't say on the air.

Clem also apologized to Douglas, but less than a week later Clem once again disparaged Douglas on the air. On December 20, 1988, a 13-year-old-girl listening to the show called Clem to defend Douglas. Clem made sexual references to Danny and to the 13-year-old female caller and was fired the next day.[]" per wiki

And also from wiki :
On February 27, 2001, while on the air at WXTB in Tampa, Florida, Clem slaughtered and barbecued a wild Florida boar that had been captured by a professional hunter. Sound effects of hogs feeding were broadcast to lead listeners to believe the hog was being harassed and aggravated. Based on the incident Clem, his Executive Producer Brent Hatley, and two other people were charged with animal cruelty.[citation needed] The trial received coverage outside Florida including Court TV. All four defendants were acquitted by the jury.[citation needed]"
----------

He is like Howard Stern sexist, but add to that a southern redneck who owns a car race track and a chicken sauce company. For this guy to talk positively about veganism and negatively about factory farms is a real paradigm shift for him and his listeners.

. He visited an egg farm over the weekend, and the lettuce ladies from peta are supposed to be on the show this morning, bringing vegan food. I am listening to his show for the first time this morning to see what he says about veganism. He is so obnoxious!
I knew I'd heard of him before. You know things are bad when someone who lives under as large a rock as I do manages to have heard of someone like Bubba the Love Sponge.

Reactions: ledboots