May Health Challenge (2017)

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Post your health goals and support your fellow VVers with theirs! Health goals can be anything health-related, whether mental or physical - not necessarily just exercise and weight loss!

Welcome, May. :)
I am hoping to get in more strength training this month. I would like to be able to hike Mount Washington this year, but I really need to up my game with core training if I want to do it and not feel completely exhausted afterward. I've been decent with cardio, but I have been lax in the weight-training department. I also need to (as always) get better/more/high quality sleep. Always a tough one, that sleep thing. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Poppy
I had two healthy eating days with point counting. I went walking today and hopefully, the weather will continue to cooperate so that I can get back in gear. Of course, I was sick for almost four full weeks so that hindered me as well. Here's hoping May is better! I want to really get going!

Reactions: PTree15
Yay, a new thread!

I'm trying to eat more raw vegan again as I haven't been feeling well and I know I usually feel better when I have a green smoothie and a green salad for part of my daily meals. I've been going for walks again as I bought new trainers (they are so comfortable) but I can't manage it some days as I feel so tired. I want to lose weight too, but the focus is on my health at the moment.:)

I've been really good at remembering to take my vitamins lately.

Yay, a new thread!

I'm trying to eat more raw vegan again as I haven't been feeling well and I know I usually feel better when I have a green smoothie and a green salad for part of my daily meals. I've been going for walks again as I bought new trainers (they are so comfortable) but I can't manage it some days as I feel so tired. I want to lose weight too, but the focus is on my health at the moment.:)

I've been really good at remembering to take my vitamins lately.

How do you make your green smoothie Molls ? I also like to eat green vegetables on a daily basis and have even bought a pack of kale back from the UK. We don't get it in our hyper/supermarkets.

I usually have banana, apple and spinach. I bought pineapple, oranges, blueberries and a bag of kale today.:)

I usually have banana, apple and spinach. I bought pineapple, oranges, blueberries and a bag of kale today.:)

I saw a recipe on QVC the other day were the presenter added kale, a pear, fresh ginger, coconut water, walnuts and a banana. The smoothie was nice and green and looked delicious.
I have also bought a bag of kale from Waitrose and will make a smoothie tomorrow. I always feel so much better after a smoothie.

I would like to try to eat less processed foods and more "clean". I want to get back to walking on the treadmill again because I have been very lazy lately. At this point, I am working more on maintaining my weight than losing any more though a couple more pounds would be nice. And I am lifting my little hand weights to try to tone and strengthen my flabby arms.

Since we got back from vacation, I've slipped back into some bad habits. I lost 5 pounds before vacay, and I'd like to lose 5 more. So I've put my FitBit back on, I'm tracking calories, and I'm jog/walking several days a week and doing more yoga. The good weather sure helps!

Started dieting last week, as mentioned in my separate thread. Just cutting out the soda and snacking less in front of the TV at night, while eating roughly the same meals I always do. I don't eat the world's healthiest meals or anything, but they're at least semi-healthy, and I'm not the type to go overboard on portion sizes at meals.

I also need to get back to better sleeping habits. My recurring insomnia has been a mild annoyance for a couple of weeks now, and kicked into high gear last night, when I couldn't fall asleep until after 3 AM. So I only got 4 hours sleep, and I've been running on caffeine and adrenaline at work today.

With the weather warming up, I'd like to go outside and exercise more, but the weather's not quite as warm as I'd like for that yet. At least the rain stopped, temporarily. I went out jogging one day last week, when we had a warmer day. I need to do more of that. And pull out the basketball. And walk a mile each way to the barber shop when I need a hair cut. And maybe finally check out the racquetball court where I live, since it's free anyway, and I've been meaning to do that since I first moved here. That last one's actually a good winter activity, since it's indoors, but I just haven't ever gotten around to it, despite two winters here so far.

So those are my healthy goals for the next few weeks.

--Fromper
:juggle:

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I walked three days in a row, reaching the 10,000 steps/day goal and then the rains came. Not sleeping is also putting a damper on not being able to be as active as I'd like. Very frustrating. No sleep equals pain from the fibro equals not enough activity. But if it dries up today I'm going to push for a walk at daybreak. Hopefully I'll be able to fall back to sleep...it's currently 3:30 am. Even if it doesn't happen for another two hours, at least I don't have work today.

I seem to be able to count my calories/points for 3-4 days, then something comes along to throw me off...family gatherings, dinner with friends that I haven't seen in a while, lunch with coworkers. Geesh, lol. I'm not giving up, though. I would prefer if the weather were warmer but it's not freezing cold so I'm committed to keeping at it, both walking and eating less.

I'm going to take a nice, long walk later this morning. I slept in a little, which means I'm hungry and need my breakfast and coffee - now. So it will be while before I feel like walking.

It's really hard to count calories when you eat out as frequently as I do. Last night, DH and I had appetizers for dinner - steamed buns, lettuce wraps, a side of brussels sprouts and a glass of wine. It was a local restaurant so there are no nutrition counts on line. Sometimes I just have to assume that if I'm not eating fried, sweet or too many white carbs, I'm going to be fine. :confused:

Reactions: KLS52
I hear you on the weather, KLS. It has been awful the past few days. I didn't do any weights last week, but I carried enough boxes all week and figure that has to be worth something. I had a great cardio week, though.

Poppy, when I dine out a lot, I really try to watch the portions. I eat only half of whatever I get and box up the rest, though having appetizers probably helps with portions. :)

I ate too much food and drank too much alcohol this past weekend. I just went for a walk around the park for 40 minutes (it's still chilly for May!) and I'm making a healthy broccoli and red lentil soup for lunch.

I walked three days in a row, reaching the 10,000 steps/day goal and then the rains came. Not sleeping is also putting a damper on not being able to be as active as I'd like. Very frustrating. No sleep equals pain from the fibro equals not enough activity. But if it dries up today I'm going to push for a walk at daybreak. Hopefully I'll be able to fall back to sleep...it's currently 3:30 am. Even if it doesn't happen for another two hours, at least I don't have work today.

:hug:

I walked on my ten minute break and then again for 30 minutes during lunch. I put my fitbit back on. I hadn't been wearing it the last few weeks. I do tend to walk more when I wear it, so I might as well. I need all the help I can get!

Reactions: Poppy and PTree15
@KLS52 - you've just inspired me to put on my sneaks and walk for a bit, rather than mess around on the computer on this gorgeous afternoon. I plan to go to yoga tonight, but I really do need a walk. I had a frustrating morning. Kelly's doctor was an hour and 15 minutes late, and we had arrived at her appointment nearly 30 minutes early since the lab work went faster than I had expected. Oy!

Nice, Poppy! Sorry about Kelly's appointment though. So frustrating!

I just did another ten minutes...8200 steps so far. Will be nice if I can reach 10000 by bedtime!

Well, today working was my workout as I was on the floor. I logged well over 10,000 steps by the time I got home and my feet hurt!

I'm 600 short...not going to make it as I am already plopped on the couch for the remainder of the day, lol. Dinner is done, kitchen is tidied and cats are taken care of, for the most part. I just have to hold them off until 8:30. So, other than another trip to the laundry room in the garage, I don't plan on moving much. I might give the kitties some play time but I'm pretty pooped. If anything changes I'll let you know, haha.