Mashed potatoes

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Made a new years resolution to eat more potatoes. But I haven't really done a good job.
So I thought if I had made a big pot of mashed potatoes I could store them in little Tupperware containers and just heat them up to go with my baked beans and hot dogs.
Couldn't find my potato masher. I may have donated it to the Salvation Army. I really don't like mashing potatoes. But someone told me that the immersion blender I got for Christmas not only can mash potatoes but make them super fluffy.
I sort of knew how to make mash potatoes but I looked it up anyway.
I used 2 pounds of the small yellow potatoes. They were pretty cheap.
Put them in the Instant Pot on High Pressure for 10 minutes and then not only did I let it naturally vent but I turned off the warm function and left and did some errands.

When I came back I rinsed them in cold water. I've been told that you don't actually have to peel them but I did take off about half the skins. Put the IP on saute and added a couple of cloves of minced garlic and a tsp of water. Then I broke the potatoes up and put them back in the IP to saute a bit. then I added a little salt and pepper and a cup of unsweetened soy milk. I was told that coconut milk works best but I didn't have any.

Then I used the immersion blender and in less than 2 minutes I did have super fluffy mashed potatoes. I split the pot into two Tupperware containers and put one in the freezer and one in the frig. I couldn't find the chives although I remember buying them at the store. They must have escaped and runoff. So I'll add them when I reheat them.

I think I will also try making some mushroom gravy if I get tired of them plain.

Before getting started I looked at these two recipes.
I also want to try the pizza lentils.

Reactions: Emma JC and Jai
mmmm garlic mashed potatoes, yum

I mostly make them for special occasions.

I do like to put 3 or 4 pounds of potatoes in the Instant Pot and then store them whole in the fridge in large reusable ziplock bags. I can make baked french fries or homefries or hash browns from them or just reheat for a minute in the microwave and put anything I like on them. I like vinegar, tahini etc.

Yesterday I cut up a huge sweet potato and some cauliflower and then shook them up in the large ziplock with some balsamic and soy sauce and some spices then put them in the oven for about an hour to bake them. It was good. I do love sweet potatoes even more than white potatoes.

Emma JC

• Love
Reactions: Lou
mmmm garlic mashed potatoes, yum

I mostly make them for special occasions.

I do like to put 3 or 4 pounds of potatoes in the Instant Pot and then store them whole in the fridge in large reusable ziplock bags. I can make baked french fries or homefries or hash browns from them or just reheat for a minute in the microwave and put anything I like on them. I like vinegar, tahini etc.

Yesterday I cut up a huge sweet potato and some cauliflower and then shook them up in the large ziplock with some balsamic and soy sauce and some spices then put them in the oven for about an hour to bake them. It was good. I do love sweet potatoes even more than white potatoes.

Emma JC
OH!

Those are some great ideas.

You know, back before microwaves I would bake 5 potatoes all at once (with a chicken). And then use those baked potatoes for mashed potatoes and hashbrowns and homefries for the rest of the week.

I could be doing stuff like that again. but with the IP instead of the oven. (and without the chicken).

Reactions: Emma JC
Yup, and sweet potatoes are also perfect in the IP although they take less time than regular so when you do them together they are sometimes a bit mushier. 4 minutes for them is probably enough. I sometimes throw large pieces of carrot or parsnip or squash in at the same time. I love roasted vegetables and yet dislike how long it takes in just the oven, now I can give them a great headstart in the IP and it takes much less time to finish the roasting process.

Emma JC

Yum. I had mashed potatos just last week, first time for many years. Its great to revisit classic European fare sometimes, since I mostly eat Indian/Asian/Arab food

Fun fact: Penn Gilette, of the Vegas duo Penn & Teller, attributes his massive weight loss to a diet soley consisting of potatos.

Fun fact: Penn Gilette, of the Vegas duo Penn & Teller, attributes his massive weight loss to a diet soley consisting of potatos.

I like those guys. But I'm pretty sure that unless you are marooned on Mars you should eat a variety of food.

I love mashed potatoes. I never tried in the instant pot- I'll have to give that a shot sometime. I usually just quarter the potatoes, boil, then whip with the hand mixer with some milk.