Marks & Spencer: A Love/Hate/Love story

rogerjolly

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Many decades ago M&S had a great reputation in their department stores. Especially in their clothing and food sections. People were prepared to pay a little more for guaranteed quality.

Then they lost their way. Grandma still loved them and to a lesser extent so did mother. But all the bright young things went off to Top Shop for their fashion.

So, M&S went through several revamps under several new chief executives with varying degrees of success.

Then, about ten years ago, they decided to place much more emphasis on food sales. They have recently opened many food only supermarkets. As part of this grand plan their “Plant Kitchen” line was developed which is great news for vegans.

Just one question: I do not like their soya milk. It is far too creamy for me. My head tells me that this must be because it is stuffed full of “goodness” which increases its viscosity. I would love to hear other people’s opinions on the milk. Does it appeal to you?

Roger.

I've never tasted their soya milk. However, I looked up the list of ingredients and it's contains a thickener which gives it have a creamy consistency. Sadly, it's manufactured in Portugal so that's not good news for the planet as you have a large selection of UK plant based milk brands that are much cheaper and very tasty.
I compared the former to my shop brand soya milk and it's virtually the same ; high in protein and low in fat. However, it doesn't contain a thickener and it's very watery. Moreover, it's far more expensive compared to the M&S brand.