Suggestion Mandatory country

nobody

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If it is possible to make everyone fill in what country they live in, I think that should be enacted. This is because there are a million threads on here that deal with consumer products, which are usually particular to a country. Most products are not internationally available. So, whenever someone asks "hey, anyone know a good vegan vitamin/milk/cheese etc?" my first thought is always..."well, what country do you live in?"...that is necessary information.

It makes sense what you're suggesting, but it is beyond my moderation abilities. You'll have to wait until Damo sees this. I'm not sure if it's possible or not. There could be some privacy issues at hand in regards to making it mandatory. You can always ask the OP in the meantime.

RULES RULES RULES RULES

“One person's rules are another person's anathema” David F. Wells

“You don’t tell me what to do” Kris Kristofferson

“And on the sign it said "No Trespassing." But on the other side it didn't say nothing. That side was made for you and me.” Woody Guthrie

Roger

• Haha
Reactions: Lou and Pops
I think we can and have done that on a voluntary basis. I sort of remember seeing posts that start of with here in the USA we have this brand. Also as you get more familiar with the multi-nationality of this forum you just sort of figure things out. For instance, I can now recognize those crazy Brits by the names of their grocery stores. Really?! what kind of name is Tesco? or Asda? :p

Hey @nobody

Great idea though I don't think everyone would be willing to give their location even if we're not asking for their exact location, we do have a reminder to fill in location history on signup though.

I can now recognize those crazy Brits by the names of their grocery stores.
Oi mate who are you calling bonkers? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Veganite
I've brought this up before. It is frustrating. Just put the country, not the town if you don't want to. It's not much to ask and is so logical that I don't understand why people don't just do it anyway.

Hi Sally, we're hopefully going to be due for an upgrade before the end of the year so I'll make the entry mandatory then.

Unless there is a dedicated list that you have to choose from ,setting the field as mandatory won't work for people who don't want to fill it in. Whilst most software won't take a space as an entry in a mandatory fields, it will take * or abc or xyz, or 'the moon' or 'mars' etc.
Plus the current location field doesn't display all of the possible number of characters as it is (and is worse on the new forum layout) so unless I click on "Southern Ca" I won't know if it is Carolina, California, Canada or simply southern ca and they've assumed the rest of the world knows that it's part of the USA. It could even be southern cassowary or southern calamari if the person was being awkward.

My point is making it mandatory isn't going to actually resolve the problem.

Why not? I've got Isle of Wight UK on mine, not to be confused with Isle of Wight US. I could just put England UK, or even UK. Make it mandatory and people will work it out. Really all you need put is the name of the country.

I think it's a lot better than what it used to be, we wouldn't want to add anymore pressure to entering a location as it's probably going to scare people away from signup.

Why not? I've got Isle of Wight UK on mine, not to be confused with Isle of Wight US. I could just put England UK, or even UK. Make it mandatory and people will work it out. Really all you need put is the name of the country.
You're missing my point completely. If someone does not want to put the country in they can just add easily put the moon or mars or I don't want to in this field. It is only requiring an entry, any entry.
I'm a member of another forum (well several actually ,relating to other hobbies ) and where they have made the location mandatory (and the same XenForo platform is in use) where people don't want to put the country in for whatever reason, they don't. I was a moderator on one of these platforms (XenForo 1.x) for 6 or 7 years. I've seen it all when it comes to trying to get around mandatory fields/entry especially for location. One of the favourites was to enter a football club in another country (usually Italy or Spain).

Yes ,life is easier if people are honest and fill it out with the intended information , but if people were honest we'd have no police and no need for politicians!