News Man dies in hot dog eating contest

In Christian ethics, gluttony is considered to be one of the deadly sins.

I suppose in this case, it turned out to be deadly in a very literal sense as well.

Reactions: sjoy88
I actually have a person in competitive eating that I support somewhat.

Never had a problem with competitive eating in general though.

I actually have a person in competitive eating that I support somewhat.

Never had a problem with competitive eating in general though.
How do they practice something like this? What are the rewards given the obvious health effects it can cause?

Karma... or hot dog... bites back?

Strange thing the eating contests, and I agree with shyvas.

I could never fit 61 hotdogs in my stomack. And I would have choacked on the second one, as I have to eat slow for not getting food stuck in my throat. :p

Would veggie dogs be just as easy to choke on?
All those deaths for a stupid contest :/

How do they practice something like this? What are the rewards given the obvious health effects it can cause?

Many of them practice at home, often preparing for each contest with the foodstuff that is to be eaten, or just by being able to ingest as much of any food possible. The reward is the contest money and glory obviously, even though I'm sure that the most famous ones carry lucrative sponsorships as well.

I think they are one of the stupidest pastimes and a huge waste of food.
That being said, I would do a vegan cupcake eating contest. :D They're usually for charity and no one actually eats very many. What better excuse to eat lots of cupcakes.

This is how I imagine it going...

Me: I just ate 5 vegan cupcakes. :lick:
Friend: :eek: You ate 5 cupcakes? All at once? Why?
Me: I had to, it was for charity. I ate them for the animals. :yes:
Friend: That's a lot of calories. Did you win at least?
Me: I got to eat cupcakes didn't I?
Friends: But did you win? Was there a prize?
Me: Of course I won, we all won. WE GOT TO EAT CUPCAKES.

Okay, that isn't very realistic. I would never be friends with someone who doesn't get how eating lots of cupcakes is the prize.
:sigh: Now I want a cupcake.
cupcake2.gif

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-11_18-9-59.jpeg
    upload_2014-7-11_18-9-59.jpeg
    1.3 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: Danielle and Amy SF
I watched a segment on, I think, ESPN once, about competitive eater Takeru Kobayashi, who holds many records. I tried to find it on the Internet, but failed. When he's training, there's a restaurant in Japan that will bring him plates and plates of food until he says stop.

Also, from Wikipedia:

Kobayashi expands his stomach for a competition by eating larger and larger amounts of food, and then exercises to ensure that fat will not impede expansion of his stomach during a competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: das_nut
Considering the number of people who don't have enough to eat in the world; That, according to WHO figures, one child dies every six seconds from starvation, malnutrition and malnutrition related diseases ...

I find it VERY hard not to enjoy the irony of some ***-hat dying because he/she ate a fair few hundred of those suffering children's share.

Aren't hot dogs considered one of the least healthiest foods there is? You'd risk losing a lot of money if you don't win the contest. Even if it was healthier food these contests wouldn't appeal to me.

I watched a segment on, I think, ESPN once, about competitive eater Takeru Kobayashi, who holds many records. I tried to find it on the Internet, but failed. When he's training, there's a restaurant in Japan that will bring him plates and plates of food until he says stop.

Also, from Wikipedia:

I have to admit, I was biased and thinking he was going to be an obese, out of shape individual, but in the Wikipedia pictures, he looks far healthier than most people.