making fresh food last longer

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I watched two interesting videos today and found both of them helpful.

The first Simmett Nutrition - Derek shows how simple it is to make sauerkraut - who knew it was so easy and a great way to have cabbage for longer.

The second is Sweet Simple Vegan talking about storing fresh foods so they don't go off. I immediately moved a few of my foodstuffs around.

Emma JC

The first Simmett Nutrition - Derek shows how simple it is to make sauerkraut - who knew it was so easy and a great way to have cabbage for longer.

The second is Sweet Simple Vegan talking about storing fresh foods so they don't go off. I immediately moved a few of my foodstuffs around.

Emma JC

:)
Hello Emma JC

That's brilliant, thanks! Being the only one eating my way through fresh stuff, it's difficult for me to use up before it dries up/wilts, etc. Ta very much, also, as so much of it is wrapped in multiples, e.g. 6 apples, 5 pears, 6 tomatoes, etc. I now have a better knowledge of what can go in the fridge... Had to throw the end of a cucumber as it went soft (but went to wormery and compost heap). I have been relying a lot on frozen things, esp. berries.

Emma JC

Very cool!

I will take one issue with her advise on the bananas, though. Bananas are fine on the counter until they get ripe. If you don't eat them right away when they get ripe, they should go into the fridge. The skins will continue to brown, but they will stay good on the inside for another 2-3 days. The same goes with avocados. If you can't eat a ripe avocado immediately, putting them in the fridge will extend their life by another couple of days. :)