Make ahead meals

SuicideBlonde

Adorkable rockstar!
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I need good recipes or ideas for make ahead meals. I am a very busy person and most days I just don't have time to cook. I leave the house early in the morning and get home late at night, very hungry. What meals freeze well, so I can ask my bf to heat them up while I am on my way home. I want food that is healthy and tasty.

Thanks.

Curries, stews,chilli,cottage pie, lasagne,soup,quiche, soya mince ragu, corn bread,tofu balls etc. Do you have a slow cooker ?

Last edited:
Reactions: SuicideBlonde
No slow cooker. I might have one in storage, but I don't know. I just don't know what foods will freeze and reheat well. I read pasta does not, so make that when you heat the frozen foods.

Chilli is quite good & keeps well, I think. Or any sauce like that you can heat up & put with pasta/rice/potatoes etc.

I find it good to make a BIG bowl of quinoa or bulgur mixed salad to keep in the fridge to help yourself to throughout the week. That way you can add it to anything else you're eating for dinner too.

& soup keeps well & is easy to warm up to have with bread.

I think what you can do is make a pot of rice and freeze it in smaller portions. Then make some stir-fry vegetables and tofu and freeze that in smaller portions. Then all you have to do is thaw and reheat both, using the rice as a bed for the tofu and veggies.

Oh, and definitely make a point of having a slow cooker in the house. It will simplify your life. All you have to do is add the ingredients, set the timer, and it does the cooking for you, so it's ready when you get home. There are even cookbooks with vegetarian slow cooker recipes available.

Pasta always tastes better when it is freshly cooked. However, you can cook it al dente and freeze it for a few weeks before heating it gently in the microwave.
There is a huge variety of other grains that you can soak in water, cook and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Couscous, millet, bulgur and short grain brown rice don't take that long to cook.

http://wholegrainscouncil.org/files/CookingWholeGrains.pdf

I bet you can make a tofu ricotta lasagna. I make it and it definitely freezes well. I have some in my freezer right now from Thanksgiving. It doesn't have to be a chore to make, either. And you can do it in stages if you don't have a block of time.

Make your sauce first (or use jarred if you prefer).
You can make the ricotta a day or two in advance.
You should be able to find no bake lasagna sheets without egg. I use Ronzoni.
Then assemble and bake. If you want it extra rich, google vegan bechamel and layer that in there. It makes the lasagna sooooo good...but fattening! :)

As others have mentioned, pretty much any soup, stew or curry freezes well. The same holds true for any kind of casserole from lasagna to shepherd's pie to vegetable casseroles to Mexican dishes that are prepared in the oven. Homemade bean burritos also freeze well, as long as you don't put something like lettuce in them (I use fresh tomatoes in the summer and salsa when tomatoes aren't in season.) Wrap them individually, and they are a quick meal or snack.

I received a crockpot for a holiday gift. I just need easy vegan recipes that I can make early or just have my partner make. He is not the best cook.