Lunch disaster

spottygiraffe

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
I went skiing for the day with my husband and kids and we stopped for lunch at the only restaurant in the ski resort. I had pretty low expectations for my meal, especially because the menu was all meat products with chips (French fries). They were however doing a speciality of the day, which was chicken with vegetables, so I ordered just the veggies and the waitress confirmed that I wanted no meat. But! When my veggies arrived they consisted of a load of canned veg mixed up with bacon -yuk! Very depressing. I had to fill up on the baguette they had put on the table, but I don't normally eat white carbs so I felt horrid and bloated all afternoon. It shouldn't be so hard just to get something basic to eat....

You should have sent it back and pointed out the mistake. I always send back my meals if the order is messed up. I've even sent things back more than once until they got it right.

Yikes, sounds bad. I hate when that happens. I am learning I have to be so very, very, specific when eating out. Sorry that happened. :(

One would not think they would have to say, I'll have the veggies, please, but no bacon!

Geeze, hard to belief a ski resort doesn't cater to a variety of diets in this day and age - especially if it's in a tourist area. :rolleyes: Honestly. Pack a couple of cliff bars in your jacket next time - they don't take up much room and at least you'll have something other than white bread.

Gross! I definitely would have sent it back!
Maybe you could pack some snacks and order just a side of fries/chips next time?

I would have sent the vegetables back. However in these kind of places they seem to only serve meat and chips or pasta,so it would either have been a carb overload or perhaps a few slices of tomatoes if you where lucky. :(

I would have felt bad sending it back because it was in a tiny ski resort with only the one small family-run restaurant that struggles to keep going. It wouldn't have changed anything if I'd tried to make a point because they don't get veg*ism round here. If it had been a big restaurant or a chain then I would definitely have spoken up. Mind you, I do hate making any kind of fuss. I do normally have some dried fruit or energy bars with me but I thought there would have been something I could eat! Yes, chips/fries would have been the best bet. Anyway, it was only one day, one meal -I survived!

I would have felt bad sending it back because it was in a tiny ski resort with only the one small family-run restaurant that struggles to keep going. It wouldn't have changed anything if I'd tried to make a point because they don't get veg*ism round here. If it had been a big restaurant or a chain then I would definitely have spoken up. Mind you, I do hate making any kind of fuss. I do normally have some dried fruit or energy bars with me but I thought there would have been something I could eat! Yes, chips/fries would have been the best bet. Anyway, it was only one day, one meal -I survived!

I don't see it as making a fuss. You ended up paying for food that you didn't eat. They would have just served the veg to another client.:)

I somewhat disagree with this. I think it would've been better to point out and inform them that bacon/pork is meat if they are under the assumption that it isn't. You don't even have to attempt to explain veganism to them, but just let them know that you don't eat meat and bacon is indeed a meat product. Plus the more informed and educated they are, the better prepared they will be the next time they encounter someone with a specific dietary preference.

And also this:

I don't see it as making a fuss. You ended up paying for food that you didn't eat.

Plus you could always just leave a huge tip if you feel bad for sending something back. Even though it is their fault, if they apologize and attempt to correct the order I tend to leave a larger tip.

They would have just served the veg to another client.:)

I don't think they are allowed to that. At least here they aren't.

Reactions: KLS52
I somewhat disagree with this. I think it would've been better to point out and inform them that bacon/pork is meat if they are under the assumption that it isn't. You don't even have to attempt to explain veganism to them, but just let them know that you don't eat meat and bacon is indeed a meat product. Plus the more informed and educated they are, the better prepared they will be the next time they encounter someone with a specific dietary preference.

And also this:

Plus you could always just leave a huge tip if you feel bad for sending something back. Even though it is their fault, if they apologize and attempt to correct the order I tend to leave a larger tip.

I don't think they are allowed to that. At least here they aren't.

Restaurants aren't allowed to do this but it is surprising what goes on behind the scenes.

Yikes, sounds bad. I hate when that happens. I am learning I have to be so very, very, specific when eating out. Sorry that happened. :(

One would not think they would have to say, I'll have the veggies, please, but no bacon!
This. It's amazing how many times a veggie dish, say, green beans, has bacon or pork flavor. I also always assume the worst when going out, so I always have a Clif bar or fruit or trail mix or something with me if I can't find something I want on a menu.

This. It's amazing how many times a veggie dish, say, green beans, has bacon or pork flavor. I also always assume the worst when going out, so I always have a Clif bar or fruit or trail mix or something with me if I can't find something I want on a menu.

It certainly does as far as I'm concerned. The other day a neighbour had invited me for dinner and cooked chicken, as she knows that I don't eat 'meat'.:(

I somewhat disagree with this. I think it would've been better to point out and inform them that bacon/pork is meat if they are under the assumption that it isn't. You don't even have to attempt to explain veganism to them, but just let them know that you don't eat meat and bacon is indeed a meat product.
No, I didn't tell them that I didn't eat meat, I just ordered a plate of vegetables because it never occurred to me that they would contain meat, so my bad not theirs. All part of the learning curve for me.

The other day a neighbour had invited me for dinner and cooked chicken, as she knows that I don't eat 'meat'.
Oh dear -so awkward for everyone.

Reactions: KLS52