Health Issues Low HDL,High Triglycerides & Liver enzymes

OMG, doctors know nothing about nutrition. They are trained in a cut poison burn system that uses drugs and surgeries to deal
with symptoms, not deal with root causes. Also, one of many reasons for failed vegans is they go to a doctor who tells them they
need to eat animals protein again. That would have happened had I seen an allopathic medical doctor. I am seeing a 20 year qualified
practitioner, not a quack with a mail order degree. She understand exactly what is going on with my body as a result of blood tests.
I believe EVERY VEGAN (and omnivore) should get a comprehensive blood test every three to five years. We need to evaluate where we are
and take corrective measures. We really do not know whats' going on without the blood test. We simple assume all is ok.
The amazing thing is that soo many omnivores criticize vegans for being "malnourished". Yet, if every omnivore got a comprehensive
blood test they would be shocked at what nutrition is imbalanced in their system......
So was it a blood test that said you have elevated B12 levels? 🤔

Also, one of many reasons for failed vegans is they go to a doctor who tells them they
need to eat animals protein again. That would have happened had I seen an allopathic medical doctor.
It's not accurate to characterize physicians that way.

Kaiser Permanente - one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States - offers classes on whole food, plant-based diets: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.or...ness/classes-programs/details/plant-based-101

Kaiser Permanente has even published its own plant-based eating guide: https://thrive.kaiserpermanente.org...loads/sites/30/2020/03/plant_based_diet_e.pdf . It prescribes these food groups: (1) non-starchy vegetables, (2) starchy vegetables, (3) fruits, (4) beans, peas, lentils, or meat alternatives, (5) whole grains, (6) nuts and seeds, (7) dairy alternatives, and (8) fats and oils.

Another very large health insurance company - Blue Cross / Blue Shield - also says that vegan diets provide health benefits: https://blog.bluecrossmn.com/your-h...nt-based-diets-through-veganuary-celebration/

Even the American Medical Association published this resolution regarding healthier foods in hospitals:
"
1. Our AMA encourages healthful food options be available, at reasonable prices and easily accessible, on the premises of health care facilities.
2. Our AMA hereby calls on all health care facilities to improve the health of patients, staff, and visitors by: (a) providing a variety of healthy food, including plant-based meals, and meals that are low in saturated and trans fat, sodium, and added sugars; (b) eliminating processed meats from menus; and (c) providing and promoting healthy beverages.
3. Our AMA hereby calls for health care facility cafeterias and inpatient meal menus to publish nutrition information.
4. Our AMA will work with relevant stakeholders to define “access to food” for medical trainees to include overnight access to fresh food and healthy meal options within all training hospitals."
Link: Policy Finder | AMA

The American Academy of Pediatrics makes this positive statement regarding veg diets:
"A plant-based diet that includes eggs and dairy ensures your child will have the necessary nutrients for healthy growth. An egg- and dairy-free vegan diet can also be healthy and complete, if sources of B12, calcium, zinc, vitamin D and iron are maximized."

Link: Plant-Based Diets: Are They Good for Kids?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou

Back to the hdl cholesterol question, the above article states that DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), found in algae oil from schizochytrium species of algae may help raise hdl cholesterol.
A quote from this article:

"A systematic literature review was conducted up to May 2017. Randomised controlled trials were included if they met strict eligibility criteria, including EPA or DHA > 2 g/day and purity ≥ 90%. Eighteen identified articles were included, corresponding to six unique studies involving 527 participants. Both EPA and DHA lowered triglyceride concentration, with DHA having a greater triglyceride-lowering effect. Whilst total cholesterol levels were largely unchanged by EPA and DHA, DHA increased high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol concentration, particularly HDL2, and increased low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol concentration and LDL particle size. Both EPA and DHA inhibited platelet activity, whilst DHA improved vascular function and lowered heart rate and blood pressure to a greater extent than EPA. The effects of EPA and DHA on inflammatory markers and glycaemic control were inconclusive; however both lowered oxidative stress. Thus, EPA and DHA appear to have differential effects on cardiometabolic risk factors, but these need to be confirmed by larger clinical studies."
Plus there is this source which talks about lowering triglycerides

I hope this is useful to someone. :)

Last edited:
It is interesting. Does it not make a difference what algae it is? I get seaweed, to use in small amounts, in food for me, for nutrients that are needed. I am trying to just eat what are plants, though. I may stop getting the seaweed I do get, as it would be among many algae that are not plants, and look for where I can find Ulva to get, which is of the green algae group, and is among plants. It would be good to know I can have the benefit as much from that.

It is interesting. Does it not make a difference what algae it is? I get seaweed, to use in small amounts, in food for me, for nutrients that are needed. I am trying to just eat what are plants, though. I may stop getting the seaweed I do get, as it would be among many algae that are not plants, and look for where I can find Ulva to get, which is of the green algae group, and is among plants. It would be good to know I can have the benefit as much from that.
Could you please explain what you mean by "algae that are not plants"? I have heard that sometimes algae are distinguished from land plants as being a less complicated life form, without true roots or true leaves, but certainly I don't believe that they would be classified as animal either, since they make all their food by photosynthesis.

Could you please explain what you mean by "algae that are not plants"?

This goes back to HS Biology. If you go back to the Linaeus, the father of taxonomy, there were only two kingdoms:. Plants and animals. if you are old like me you were probably taught that there were three kingdoms. Plants, animals and fungi. But as taxonomist learn more they keep adding kingdoms. They are now up to five. Protista is the one that algae are put in. So taxonomically speaking, algae are not plants but protists. I think the big deal is how algae reproduce which is not like plants.

Ulva, or sea lettuce does look like a plant. but it is also is an algae and all algae are categorized as protists. Again because of how they reproduce.

FYI

So was it a blood test that said you have elevated B12 levels? 🤔
That is what I stated.
A friend who is omnivore and eats 'clean' animals and lots of vegetables had a blood test. She was surprised to find her
levels of everything were okay, except, her cholesterol was 260, her LDL was high, and she has been very tired lately and not breathing well.
She called me and stated she know she is changing her diet. She stated it will be mediterranean, near-vegan, and eliminating most
animal products and also oils. Every human, regardless of what they eat, has deficiencies of some kind. Yet vegans, because we are
outsiders, get the criticism. We do not know where we are unless we get a good blood test. We ***-ume everything is okay because
we eat what we want and assume we get our proper nutrition. Some vegans do not absorb B12, some do not take it, and some like
me absorb it TOO well. New vegans benefit from getting a blood test when they start veganism, get the test evaluated by a qualified
nutritionist or dietician, make dietary changes, and then get a follow-up test a few months later. Everyone benefits from taking an honest
look at what they are doing and not doing. And I will be honest, vegans often judge each other...

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt
That is what I stated.
A friend who is omnivore and eats 'clean' animals and lots of vegetables had a blood test. She was surprised to find her
levels of everything were okay, except, her cholesterol was 260, her LDL was high, and she has been very tired lately and not breathing well.
She called me and stated she know she is changing her diet. She stated it will be mediterranean, near-vegan, and eliminating most
animal products and also oils. Every human, regardless of what they eat, has deficiencies of some kind. Yet vegans, because we are
outsiders, get the criticism. We do not know where we are unless we get a good blood test. We ***-ume everything is okay because
we eat what we want and assume we get our proper nutrition. Some vegans do not absorb B12, some do not take it, and some like
me absorb it TOO well. New vegans benefit from getting a blood test when they start veganism, get the test evaluated by a qualified
nutritionist or dietician, make dietary changes, and then get a follow-up test a few months later. Everyone benefits from taking an honest
look at what they are doing and not doing. And I will be honest, vegans often judge each other...
A blood test is not a good indicator for B12. Many have false readings, which we have been trying to get across---

"Elevated levels of serum cobalamin {B12] may be a sign of a serious, even life-threatening, disease. Hematologic disorders like chronic myelogeneous leukemia, promyelocytic leukemia, polycythemia vera and also the hypereosinophilic syndrome can result in elevated levels of cobalamin."

Link: Significance of elevated cobalamin (vitamin B12) levels in blood - PubMed

Could you please explain what you mean by "algae that are not plants"? I have heard that sometimes algae are distinguished from land plants as being a less complicated life form, without true roots or true leaves, but certainly I don't believe that they would be classified as animal either, since they make all their food by photosynthesis.

Actually...

There are clades to consider these days. Green algae are all plants, as they were considered to be before, it is known now that there are different biological groups of green algae, and land plants, Embryophyta, are among them, in one clade with other groups which are green algae, while other green algae are more different in other clades. So green algae are not a clade themselves while there is a legitimate clade of green algae including the land plants. Other organisms called algae don't belong with those at all and are not plants.

I already don't eat anything from opisthokonts, and I can continue just having things from actual plants, those lifeforms meant for food, from now on.

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt
This goes back to HS Biology. If you go back to the Linaeus, the father of taxonomy, there were only two kingdoms:. Plants and animals. if you are old like me you were probably taught that there were three kingdoms. Plants, animals and fungi. But as taxonomist learn more they keep adding kingdoms. They are now up to five. Protista is the one that algae are put in. So taxonomically speaking, algae are not plants but protists. I think the big deal is how algae reproduce which is not like plants.

Ulva, or sea lettuce does look like a plant. but it is also is an algae and all algae are categorized as protists. Again because of how they reproduce.

FYI
Thank you. That Britannica article made me feel like I was back in high school! I appreciate an excuse to get lost in an encyclopedia.