Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Posted by Forster.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/tofu-cashew-mayonnaise.html

Ingredients
1 12.3 ounce package firm silken tofu (see note)
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews (about 2 ounces)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon prepared mustard, any variety
  • 1/8 teaspoon granulated onion powder
  • salt to taste
Instructions
Drain water from tofu and place it and all other ingredients except salt in a high-speed blender. Blend at highest speed until light and creamy. Add salt to taste and blend again. Seal tightly and keep refrigerated. Stir before each use.
I did use firm tofu being that was the least firm tofu our grocery store had on hand.

I'm constantly hearing that tofu ha "a lot" of fat, so I'm not sure that this recipe should really be titled "fat free."

Even if tofu didn't have fat, there's the cashews in the ingredients...

No added oil would probably be appropriate. It is fairly low calorie though, 15 cal/tablespoon vs about 95 for regular mayo.

The recipes on the fat free vegan blog aren't so much as fat free as free from added refined fat/oil.

I'm not sure which mayonnaise thread to post this in but when Forster originally posted this there was no title other than mayonnaise.Just because it was on a fatfree site I did not assume it was low fat or a fat free mayonnaise.That wasn't why I had liked the first post.I just thought it was a mayonnaise sub.

That's why I posted it in the other mayo thread, came across the recipe, tried it out and was very, very happy with the results, low calorie or no. Made some of her 3min chickpea salad with the mayo substitute... delicious.

That's why I posted it in the other mayo thread, came across the recipe, tried it out and was very, very happy with the results, low calorie or no. Made some of her 3min chickpea salad with the mayo substitute... delicious.
Yeah makes sense to me.:yes:I never assumed it was fat free or low fat.I'll have to have a look at the chickpea salad.Thanks!

I'm not sure which mayonnaise thread to post this in but when Forster originally posted this there was no title other than mayonnaise.Just because it was on a fatfree site I did not assume it was low fat or a fat free mayonnaise.That wasn't why I had liked the first post.I just thought it was a mayonnaise sub.

As it was posted in the Recipe section, I thought that it would be easier for Forster's recipe to have it's own title. The reason for this is if someone were to be looking for a 'low' fat or 'oil free' mayonnaise, it would be easier to find.

On the other hand if we are discussing a certain type of ingredient or dish, it would be in the Foods and Drinks section.

Each Recipe title only has one recipe.

That is great that you did post, as we don't have very many different kind of mayonnaise recipes. I hope that you are satisfied with the 'low fat' title ?

Reactions: Forster