Love it or Hate it !

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
There is no in-between or indifference here.... ;)

The 10 Most Polarizing Foods | HuffPost

Divisive Foods and Polarizing Herbs

Let's start with the biggie: CILANTRO.

17n031orzogfjjpg.jpg

Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap, for Some

https://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

As for me, I love it! :up:

How about you? o_O

What are some other heavily-debated foods you love or hate? Doesn't matter where you're from, let's hear about them! :)

(and I'd say yes on black licorice & coconut, barf to bleu cheese, no-wayo to mayo, no-kra to okra, & beets can beat it) :p

Last edited:
Now,... OLIVES! :leer: :ms:

If You Absolutely Despise Olives, There Could Be a Good Reason Why

"But these days, the olives you're probably finding on your pizza have gotten a nice chemical bath that gives them that quality so many people loathe. For those who can't stand them, know you've been validated: The fruit is literally inedible in its natural state — and you're not crazy for thinking that even in their edible state, they're anything but".

But IMO, the problem with olives is different. FOR ME, they are simply supposed to be sweet, because they look like berries. Maybe subconsciously, i associate them with black mulberries, which i used to LOVE in my childhood. But i simply don't get that taste from them [read - i don't get what i want and get disappointed]. Father Sigmund Freud, come over! Hehehe:D But isn't it the same with the most things we despise? - Instead of looking for the new ways of perceiving the things that don't fit our conception of "good", "decent", "acceptable", "appropriate", "respectable", "decorous", "customary", "familiar", "habitual", "traditional"(!), etc., etc..., [btw, often imposed by society],- we either deny the whole idea of it's existance(!), or claim it as "inappropriate", "disgusting", "shameful", etc.:p It's not quite related to this subject, but in objection to my lifestyle, my meat-eating family often says to me something like that: "That's not how we do things!:gl:"... Btw, my whole family loves olives, cilantro and celery...:rofl:
P.S...: I'd performed a huuuuge work on myself to get to like broccoli... Still waiting to happen it to brussel sprouts....:???::shrug:

Hate hate hate--cilantro
Hate avocado, but mostly because it makes me really sick
Hate stevia

love love love olives!
love blue cheese (find green olives a good replacement)
like beets, celery, pretty much all veggies

Reactions: Val
Like coriander/cilantro and avocado. I like olives most of the time, but sometimes they can taste very chemically.

I don't like some veggies - turnips, broad beans, fennel, kale. I don't know if anyone on here has cooked okra but it goes all slimy!:hurl:

I think I like almost all fresh fruit. I don't like dried fruit at all, figs, dates etc...

Hate hate hate--cilantro
Hate avocado, but mostly because it makes me really sick
Hate stevia

love love love olives!
love blue cheese (find green olives a good replacement)
like beets, celery, pretty much all veggies
This is weird:D,- i hate avocado as well: when it's ripen, it seems greasy to me.o_OAnd the main reason is that i don't understand whether it is a fruit or a vegetable!:p

What is for veggies,- love red beans, peas, corn, beets, tomatoes, eggplants, green beans, pickled cucumbers, pressed soy fiber, etc..., ...and CAAAABBAGE:drool:. Gimme cabbage!:gl: :p
I'd tried romanesco once,- it was tasty, but now i can't find it; i mean, i know the place where it is sold, but it's on the other edge of the city,o_O so, it's not worth it. This statement is true for bamia as well.
Dislike: courgettes, celery, onions and fresh cucumbers:eek:,- moreover, they make me sick, bloated and cause much further problems (they hardly digest). The same situation is with watermelons and melons (though i'm talking about veggies now).
But MUSHROOMS are the stygian gloom:hide: :bang:. The last time i ate 2 of them..... i guess, that was the last time. I'd had blood vommiting and rectal bleeding for 5 months and was preparing to make a last will.:D I believe, that was a mushroom revenge. But i recovered, and as soon as i don't eat them now, i'm ok.:smile:
P.S.: What about grains,- love farro and barley.:lick: And hate hate hate buckwheat.:bag: Though it's a national dish here, and everyone is obsessed with buckwheat and eats it for breakfasts, dinners and suppers.:iiam:

Last edited:
I like all of the veggies and herbs, but black licorice is something I can take or leave. Anise is gross to me. Tastes like raisins, which I don’t like.

Olives -- :up: As long as they don't taste like aluminum can. LOL

Raisins & all dried fruit -- :down: Ughh... yuck... sickeningly sweet and they stick in my teeth?? No thanks. :yuck:

Turnips & rutabagas -- :down:

Potatoes -- :up: I love russets & red skins & Yukons & fingerlings & purple taters & baby taters.... <3 Just not sweet potatoes! :no: Blechhh....

I'm kinda neutral on black liquorice. I did love the trader joe version of Good & Plenty! I once ate an entire box--and felt really sick afterwards :yuck:
Do not like anise at all! that's what I hate about the Chinese 5 spice I guess.

Okra--I have used it in gumbo. Haven't made that in ages!

Most flavored coffees. Give me mocha, dammit! Why isn't there more good mocha? My store had a great in bulk grind you own and no longer carries it :no:

I love mushrooms, artichokes, soy burgers,

I love all kinds of olives and I’m mad about beets. I’ve been buying them fresh and making them myself.

I think Good & Plenty have gelatin, but TJ's did not. I haven't really looked for them, but I haven't seen them there for some time (since eating a whole box and getting a tummy ache :p)

I love russet potatoes, white flesh yams like Japanese and garnet, sweet potatoes okay-but I really dislike what you call waxy potatoes- like golden or red skins

I think Good & Plenty have gelatin, but TJ's did not. I haven't really looked for them, but I haven't seen them there for some time (since eating a whole box and getting a tummy ache :p)
I don’t think I knew that. I haven’t had them in ages. I’ll hsve to check next time I see them. I didn’t know Trader Joe’s has a version of G&P.

I love all potatoes especially waxy/starchy one’s. I love baked potatoes leftover because the whole texture changes.