Lots of new vegan products on the way

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Here's a reviews of some of the items from the Natural Products Expo West. I would love to go someday. Lots of pics on the blog site, everything looks so good.

Some of the new items...
... A gajillion new Gardein products! Including breakfast sandwiches, beefless jerky, GoGo Cuisines, wheat free chick’n strips, sizzlin’ szechuan beefless strips, and alightly breaded turk’y cutlet! I think Gardein and Daiya are two-handedly keeping Canada in business....

... Go Veggie! (GVEP [Go Veggie Exclamation Point])’s new products and top-secret new products in development (with a food scientist who happens to have the only PhD in Tofu in the world and created Silk) and partnership with the ever-adorable Spork Sisters who create recipes like Strawberry Cream Cheese Mousse With Graham Cracker Crumbles. I suggested they make a brie next. Wouldn’t that be great?...

... Wayfare makes oat based ice cream! And they have a Vermont Maple flavor! It’s like being in a vegan ice cream parlor inside a sugar shack in Quebec....

...The people of Tofurky were so nice and handsome also and so were all the new Tofurky products like: three flavors of hot pockets(pepperoni pizza, turk’y broccoli & cheddar, BBQ chick’n), three new artisan sausages(chick’n & apple, spinach pesto, andouille), quiche, and pot pie, and a personal promise to me by Gregory Rekas, Research & Development Chef, that they will make a stuffing-less Tofurky...

http://supervegan.com/blog/all-you-...earned-for-you-at-natural-products-expo-west/

does anyone know if they have found a vegan source for casein? That is what's needed to get a cheese to melt properly, and maybe(I don't know) it would be needed to make brie.

Hmmm, I didn't think about that. This was a US trade show, but I don't know if the items are only in the US.

Here's a recipe for vegan brie (I haven't tried it, but I'm now obsessed.)
Vegan brie
Prep: 9 minutes
Soak: 3 hours
Cook: 7 minutes
Rest: 2 days, 16 hours
Servings: about 16, one 6-inch round

Ingredients:1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3 hours, drained
1 cup water
½ cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
½ cup refined coconut oil
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons tapioca flour or starch
1 teaspoon agar agar powder or flakes

1. Combine cashews, water, yogurt, coconut oil, nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender; process until smooth. Transfer mixture into a large bowl, cover with a towel. Let sit at room temperature, 24-36 hours.
2. Pour mixture into a medium saucepan. Whisk in tapioca flour and agar; heat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until mixture is thick and pulls away from the side of the pan, about 5 minutes.
3. Line a 6-inch cake pan with cheesecloth; pour in hot cheese mixture. Spread mixture evenly; cover with cheesecloth. Let cool in refrigerator until firm, 4 hours. The inside will still be very soft.
4. Remove cheesecloth. Wet hands; sprinkle them with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Rub wet salt over cheese. Place cheese on a wire rack; let sit in a cool corner, 24 hours.
Flip cheese over; let rest until it appears dry, 12 hours. Wrap in wax paper; store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. For longer storage, freeze in a sealed plastic bag.

Nutrition information:per serving: 107 calories, 10 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g carbohydrates, 1 g protein, 221 mg sodium, 0 g fiber.Kay Stepkin is a vegetarian cooking instructor and former owner of a vegetarian restaurant/whole-grain bakery. Email her atfoods@tribune.com. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0130116_1_vegan-cheese-brie-nutritional-yeast

Reactions: mary1
I suppose it is like soft doughy cheesy cheese, with a moderately harder white chewy cheese-based thick skin.