Software Lost Tabs in Firefox

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Whenever I start Firefox, I always click on "Restore Previous Session." Yesterday, something got screwed up and Windows kept telling me "Firefox Not Responding." So I closed Firefox down.

When I tried to start Firefox again, the "Restore Previous Session" produced dozens of "New Tab" entries that were totally blank. No URLs, and the page contents shown were simply white space.

So I've basically lost a bunch of stuff that I'll have to re-enter.

Any advice on how to avoid this sort of thing in the future? Just bookmark just about everything?

I primarily use Firefox and I have about a million sites and pages bookmarked. Well, that's an exaggeration, obviously, but I have an absolute ton of bookmarks. I don't usually choose to restore a previous session because I have bookmarks and a toolbar. Perhaps you should set up a toolbar with your favorite sites and pages. If there are more sites than can fit in the toolbar, then you'll have little arrows on the right, click those arrows and you'll get a drop down menu with the rest of your favorite sites. I think you can even have more than one toolbar if you need more room. In my bookmarks, I have folders for separate subjects (entertainment, diet and health, cat stuff, financial, etc.) with my bookmarks so I can keep them organized. I also list my bookmarks alphabetically within each folder so I can find them quickly.

Since I have AOL, I have AOL for Firefox, and with the latest versions of both, I have a very annoying thing I don't want: Whenever I open a new tab in Firefox, AOL loads automatically. This never happened before I updated either. This also happens when I'm using AOL and not FF. I have no idea how to fix it. AOL is also my home page, which means whenever I open Firefox, AOL loads automatlcally. I tried making VV my home page, but for some reason it didn't stick. When I closed FF and then reopened it, AOL loaded automatically again. The only time I ever get a restore previous session screen is whenever FF abruptly crashes for some reason.

I think bookmarking things is a good idea.

As far as the stuff you lost...if you look through your browsing history, you'll be able to find the lost sites that were tabbed.

how do I view browsing history | Firefox for Android Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Whenever I start Firefox, I always click on "Restore Previous Session." Yesterday, something got screwed up and Windows kept telling me "Firefox Not Responding." So I closed Firefox down.

When I tried to start Firefox again, the "Restore Previous Session" produced dozens of "New Tab" entries that were totally blank. No URLs, and the page contents shown were simply white space.

So I've basically lost a bunch of stuff that I'll have to re-enter.

Any advice on how to avoid this sort of thing in the future? Just bookmark just about everything?

If your history is enabled, you can open it up and just click on previous tabs you had open. Also there is a function called Restore Closed Tabs but that only works for the current session, not previous sessions.

If your history is enabled, you can open it up and just click on previous tabs you had open.

Thanks. The problem with the history thingie (for my purposes) is that it shows every e-mail that I've looked at with my browser as the equivalent of tabbed websites, so I have to wade through a lot of superfluous stuff to find what I'm looking for.

I primarily use Firefox and I have about a million sites and pages bookmarked. Well, that's an exaggeration, obviously, but I have an absolute ton of bookmarks. I don't usually choose to restore a previous session because I have bookmarks and a toolbar. Perhaps you should set up a toolbar with your favorite sites and pages. If there are more sites than can fit in the toolbar, then you'll have little arrows on the right, click those arrows and you'll get a drop down menu with the rest of your favorite sites. I think you can even have more than one toolbar if you need more room. In my bookmarks, I have folders for separate subjects (entertainment, diet and health, cat stuff, financial, etc.) with my bookmarks so I can keep them organized. I also list my bookmarks alphabetically within each folder so I can find them quickly.

Since I have AOL, I have AOL for Firefox, and with the latest versions of both, I have a very annoying thing I don't want: Whenever I open a new tab in Firefox, AOL loads automatically. This never happened before I updated either. This also happens when I'm using AOL and not FF. I have no idea how to fix it. AOL is also my home page, which means whenever I open Firefox, AOL loads automatlcally. I tried making VV my home page, but for some reason it didn't stick. When I closed FF and then reopened it, AOL loaded automatically again. The only time I ever get a restore previous session screen is whenever FF abruptly crashes for some reason.
I think your firefox settings must be set to open aol as the default home page for new tabs. Do you have the FF addon Tab mix plus? It's really good and makes managing tabs easy.

I have another question, that may or may not be related. If I start to type in an address into the address bar in Firefox, it will present me with a sort of drop-down sheet of web addresses related to or similar to the web address I've started to type in--presumably because I've visited these sites before. I can then just click on one of the completed addresses, rather than having to type the whole thing in again. What is this feature called? How are these addresses stored? I don't think they are just fished out of my bookmarks file, because I'm sure many of them I've never bookmarked.

Additionally, suppose there is an address in that list that is obsolete and I'd want to delete or erase it. How would I go about doing that?

I have another question, that may or may not be related. If I start to type in an address into the address bar in Firefox, it will present me with a sort of drop-down sheet of web addresses related to or similar to the web address I've started to type in--presumably because I've visited these sites before. I can then just click on one of the completed addresses, rather than having to type the whole thing in again. What is this feature called? How are these addresses stored? I don't think they are just fished out of my bookmarks file, because I'm sure many of them I've never bookmarked.

Additionally, suppose there is an address in that list that is obsolete and I'd want to delete or erase it. How would I go about doing that?
I think this link has your answer. :)
Remove websites from the Awesome Bar suggestions | Firefox Help