Lost 3 cms in height over last year

Jools Holland

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I'm sure I remember that I was always 182 cms without shoes on, but around a month ago I was shocked to see that I am now only 179 cm.

I've read that this is possible with a Vitamin D deficiency. I tend to avoid the sun as much as possible (because I can't wear sunscreen on my face) and have been reluctant to supplement with Vitamin D because it seems like every time I do my sleep is horrible (I might be wrong about this).

Is it possible to lose 3cms in height over the course of one year? Could a Vitamin D deficiency cause this?

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
How old are you? It's natural to lose a bit of height as we age. Plus our height fluctuates between day and night. Some sources say about 1/2 cm, but people report a difference as much as 1 inch. If you're concerned about a deficiency, ifI have your doctor test for it. It's pretty simple to do.

Jools Holland

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
27. From what I've read in the research though, people typically start losing height at a much higher age than mine. Also, a 3 cm loss in one year seems quite extreme.

And yes, I'll go to the doctor to get it checked.

Reactions: TofuRobot

Jools Holland

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Could it be because of sleep deprivation? You get taller in your sleep and then lose it over the course of the day, right? If I'm only getting around 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep (when I usually need 10), could that be causing the problem?

Forest Nymph

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
You need to sleep more than 4 hours a night for lots of reasons. Your height being the least of it.

Why aren't you sleeping? Try magnesium supplements and melatonin if it's random. If that doesn't work see a doctor.

Reactions: betiPT

Jools Holland

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
You need to sleep more than 4 hours a night for lots of reasons. Your height being the least of it.

Why aren't you sleeping? Try magnesium supplements and melatonin if it's random. If that doesn't work see a doctor.
Lol, if I knew the answer to that question I probably wouldn't have any sleeping problems anymore. I've had sleep-maintenance insomnia for almost 5 years now where I have very interrupted sleep. I just had a sleep study done to rule out if it's due to periodic limb movements or sleep apnea.

Jools Holland

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I'm getting a Vitamin D test and a bone density test. Apparently a Vitamin D deficiency can cause osteoporosis which can cause height loss. I'll wear more shorts and t-shirts when I go outside and just cover my face. I've always been reluctant to leave my skin exposed on other parts of my body because of mild folliculitis (little red dots I have on the hair follicles) and what looks like keratosis pilaris. I understand that sun exposure can cause these types of things to scar, so I can just put sunscreen over these parts and leave the rest of my skin unexposed.

Although I read some research (https://onlinelibrary-wiley-com.ezproxy1.library.usyd.edu.au/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2009.09332.x) that shows that people who regularly use sunscreen don't tend to have Vitamin D deficiencies, but they said that could just be because people don't tend to use much sunscreen and I use a lot.

Kerrshay

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
I think you should have this checked out by your doctor. Especially if you are 100% sure that you were really 182 cm

Jamie in Chile

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Could there be a margin for error of 3cm in the measurement (or at least part of it)? Could you have stood slightly straighter one day?

I would try to measure very carefully and take a lot of measurements and log them over a period of time, and have someone else check them or do a separate measurement. Good luck!