News Losing full-time jobs

Stable, long term jobs with benefits don't seem to be what they used to. I know the nursing home I work out recently outsourced their housekeeping and laundry to an outside contractor. I guess this way the corporation I work for no longer has to pay their benefits. The same employees are there but I think some hours have been cut for the workers.

I'm grateful for my job (though I complain a lot) but it's still scary working for a profit making corporation. But I guess that is everywhere.

I also know one of the young college guys I work with, his wife works at a retail store. Instead of working her 8 hours, 3 days a week to keep her under the benefit limit, they work her 4 hours a day sometimes 6 days straight. I would hate that.

Yes, seem to be the way it is going here too. Even workers originally on " proper" Long term contract are having their contracts reviewed and re-written so they become "casual" or zero contract hours staff.

This often leaves them without rights to holiday pay or sick pay and in employment law terms much more vulnerable.

In my work it means that cancer patients unable to work due to the effects of their treatment are left with few rights and little hope if having their jobs open to return to.

Of course in a normal healthy economy few if us would sign up to such contracts and look elsewhere . But at the moment few of us can afford to be that fussy . If you won't sign the next man in the dole queue more hungry for work than you , will .