Looking for somewhere to belong....

Mbeth

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Hello- I’m hoping to find a home here to explore how I fit in to the vegan lifestyle. I’m from central PA and have been concerned where my food comes from for decades. For the past 15 years I have consumed meat from local sources- pork from the next door neighbor which we helped to raise, beef from my massage therapist, eggs from our own backyard chickens etc. Every January my church encourages a 21 day fast. I usually fast coffee, but this year felt led to do a juice fast. I never expected what would happen next. After the 21 days of only drinking fresh juices, I planned to ease back into eating meat and dairy, but every day I just kept putting it off. (With the exception of my own chicken’s eggs.) I’m still cooking as usual for my family- my kids are 15 and 16 years old and I don’t expect them to have the same conversion I had. My husband happily eats whatever I cook, vegan or not. I truly don’t know where I’m headed from here. We haven’t had meat-centered meals in ages, so leaving meat off my plate has been relatively simple so far... I like to cook and I like cooking new foods. My biggest challenge is going to be social. I live in a very beef and dairy centric farming community...and consider myself a born-again Christian, which isn’t the typical vegan environment. I’ve never felt like I’ve quite found my “people”and fear that being meat and dairy free will make that even more difficult. That’s my current status in a nutshell!

I live in a very beef and dairy centric farming community...and consider myself a born-again Christian, which isn’t the typical vegan environment.

Believe me, you are not alone with these two “complications”.

I too live in beef and lamb raising country and fully understand the problems it can create. And on the forum we even have a few Texans.

As for religion we do have some Christian members though I would judge that most of us probably tend towards the agnostic or atheistic. I am personally placed very firmly in the atheist camp which, like veganism, is probably not overly common in very rural areas. A double whammy!

Anyway, I am sure you will find us to be a very broad church. Pun intended.

So, Hi and welcome,

Roger

Last edited:
Reactions: betiPT and Lou
welcome, Mbeth

We are an all inclusive community and each of us may be able to relate to different aspects of your experience and will be supportive where we can. For most people, a plant-based diet and vegan lifestyle are a journey, over time, with some ups and downs and 3 steps forward one step back oopsies. It certainly has been that way for me and finally one day it clicked and that was it. The journey took many years.

You are well on your way and as for the social aspect I would suggest what we have suggested to many people, try to bring your own food when and where you can and don't make a big deal out of it. Tasty vegan food is appreciated by everyone and you will be become very popular!! ;)

The animals, the environment and your health will all appreciate each step forward you are able to take.

Emma JC

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
Welcome! There are definitely Christians who are vegan, in fact the Christian Vegetarian Association is mostly vegan in their outreach. https://christianveg.org/default.htm

There's also the stewardship movement among some protestant evangelicals in the US, who may sympathize with veganism for the sake of Creation-care.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_environmentalism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Bible

Inspiring, intelligent climate scientist Dr. Katherine Heyhoe also happens to be a devout Christian and a vegetarian.
http://katharinehayhoe.com/wp2016/

Also, of course, you can hang out with us here! I just thought some of this information might be helpful.

Last edited:
Welcome!
Don't over think things and don't go to extremes. Religion has nothing to do with diet. Vegan fare can be wonderfully tasty and easy to prepare.

As for socializing with friends... sometimes it's best to say I just ate an hour ago, rather than debate the benefits of Veganism. Unfortunately, Veganism has become an ideological lightning rod.

Welcome to the forum Mbeth! I'm glad that leaving meat off the table has been simple for you. Many scream about it. So, bravo! Anyway....

WELCOME HOME!!!

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
You definitely belong here. Earlier today, I read one of your other posts; I don’t remember the topic, but it was well-written and well-argued. I thought, “What a great addition to this community!” I hadn’t seen your name here before, and it made me think of Mcbeth, one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I myself am an ultra-liberal atheist in a super-snotty small town full of self-satisfied, bone-broth-drinking meat eaters, and I’m happy for the diversity of opinion here. What matters is not your location or religion but that you’re vegan and a thoughtful person.

Reactions: Lou