Looking for opinions and thoughts from other vegans...

huntorgather

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently joined this forum to gather opinions and gain some insight from the larger vegan community on an idea I have. To begin with, I am a vegetarian who occasionally eats eggs and some dairy products. I have found it incredibly hard to transfer completely to veganism because of my lifestyle (often traveling to places like Italy, where diets are very traditional), and because the people closest to me are decidedly NOT vegans. I'm sure many of you are aware of these types of social and structural challenges. One of the toughest problems I have is eating out with non-vegan friends (again, not an uncommon problem). So I got to thinking: what if a restaurant existed where a vegan, a vegetarian and a carnivore could dine happily together? The immediate red flag that goes up when considering this idea is the moral issue vegans would raise about supporting a restaurant that contributes to the suffering of animals. However, the long-term benefits of eating at a restaurant that aimed to support a full transition to veganism, and that was inclusive of people who were not fully vegans but who are trying or curious, may outweigh the short-term draw-backs. From some preliminary internet research, it seems that there is a spectrum of opinions, so I thought I would ask for your help in better understanding where vegans stand on this issue. My question for you is this:
Would you find it acceptable to eat at a restaurant that offered a flexitarian menu? By flexitarian I mean mostly fruits, vegetables and grains, with some meat options for people who are either curious about veganism or who are working to make a sustainable long-term change, but are finding it difficult?
I would genuinely appreciate any and all thoughts on this topic. Thank you!

Would you find it acceptable to eat at a restaurant that offered a flexitarian menu? By flexitarian I mean mostly fruits, vegetables and grains, with some meat options for people who are either curious about veganism or who are working to make a sustainable long-term change, but are finding it difficult?
I don't see a problem with it. Most vegans eat out at non-veg restaurants occasionally. If a fully vegan restaurant is an option, then that is my preference (mostly), but usually that is not an option. It's not that different from shopping in a non-veg grocery store, really.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I know a lot of veg*ns consider it heresey to eat at a non vegan restaurant, but look at it this way.

By ordering a veg*n item on the menu, you (and collectively) other veg*ns are voting with your dollars and encouraging the owner to maintain or expand the veggie options on the menu.

I've seen restaurants go both ways (some adding, and some removing veggie options). So it really depends on the customer's menu choice.

I appreciate these points immensely. I'm actually surprised at the general acceptance level, I expected most responses to be an outright "no way." The concept of this restaurant would really target all the in-between people who can't say they're vegan or vegetarian, and who can't say they're traditional carnivores. Love the responses, please keep them coming :)

I don't see a problem with it. Most vegans eat out at non-veg restaurants occasionally. If a fully vegan restaurant is an option, then that is my preference (mostly), but usually that is not an option. It's not that different from shopping in a non-veg grocery store, really.
Same for me. When I do eat at non-vegan restaurants, I make dang sure I comment on the availability/non-availability of vegan dishes. I enjoy dining out, and sometimes it gets tiring having to order a salad only or a plate of steamed veggies, which I enjoy, but I can have that at home. I often will work with the staff to get something other than those dishes if I can, but at chain places, where a lot of my omni friends dine, it can be a pretty boring dinner. But then again, I'm there mostly for the social aspect. :)

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
I'm vegan and eat at all kinds of restaurants. I also discuss vegan options with the manager if it is a slow time or if he stops by the table. I have had 3 restaurants so far add extra vegan things to their menus. One was a strictly carnivorous BBQ restaurant that added choice of vegan falafel skewers/ pita sandwiches. :)

I'm vegan and eat at all kinds of restaurants. I also discuss vegan options with the manager if it is a slow time or if he stops by the table. I have had 3 restaurants so far add extra vegan things to their menus. One was a strictly carnivorous BBQ restaurant that added choice of vegan falafel skewers/ pita sandwiches. :)
This is why I ask/mention/thank when it comes to vegan options. I figure if more people keep asking about it, perhaps a place will add a tasty vegan option. :)

Reactions: Amy SF and ledboots
On a side note - when I first went vegan, I had some real concerns and much hesitation about visiting a few of my out of state friends for the first time. These friends were Dominican and Russian, and insisted on either preparing a dinner or taking me out to a restaurant of their choice. When I told them I was now vegan and we discussed it - they were completely accepting of this, and went out of their way to make sure that the fact that I was vegan did not in any way negatively affect our time together.

My Russian friends ordered for me in the restaurant where we went - (the waitress didn't speak good English, or seem to understand the dietary restrictions, by the length of time it took them to explain it to her.) My Dominican Madre also had a difficult time understanding why I would no longer eat the meals that she cooked that contained animal products. She thought and thought about it - and rather than have me not eat anything, she prepared some vegan rice and beans seperately. right then and there. I guarantee you that is the first time she ever prepared rice and beans without chicken broth or some animal bi-product. And it was delicious.

My friends were way more accepting and accomodating than I initially gave them credit for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
On a side note - when I first went vegan, I had some real concerns and much hesitation about visiting a few of my out of state friends for the first time. These friends were Dominican and Russian, and insisted on either preparing or taking me out to a restaurant of their choice. When I told them I was now vegan and we discussed it - they were completely accepting of this, and went out of their way to make sure that the fact that I was vegan did not in any way negatively affect our time together.

My Russian friends ordered for me in the restaurant where we went - (the waitress didn't speak good English, or seem to understand the dietary restrictions, by the length of time it took them to explain it to her.) My Dominican Madre also had a difficult time understanding why I would no longer eat the meals that she cooked that contained animal products. She thought and thought about it - and rather than have me not eat anything, she prepared some vegan rice and beans seperately. right then and there. I guarantee you that is the first time she ever prepared rice and beans without chicken broth or some animal bi-product. And it was delicious.

My friends were way more accepting and accomodating than I initially gave them credit for.
You are lucky. I have had friends outright not invite me to functions that included meals at their homes or even when dining out because of my being vegan. I understand their sentiment that if "you are coming to my house" you eat what's prepared, which is pretty much my sentiment when it comes to animal products -- I won't prepare them, end of story, but I would make sure we could agree on a meal we all could enjoy. Thankfully, not all of my friends are like that. :D

You are lucky. I have had friends outright not invite me to functions that included meals at their homes or even when dining out because of my being vegan. I understand their sentiment that if "you are coming to my house" you eat what's prepared, which is pretty much my sentiment when it comes to animal products -- I won't prepare them, end of story, but I would make sure we could agree on a meal we all could enjoy. Thankfully, not all of my friends are like that. :D

To be sure, there are plenty of family members (oddly enough) that balance out my cool, understanding friends. Much like your situation, they don't invite me to dinner - EVER. Not at their homes or anywhere else.

To be sure, there are plenty of family members (oddly enough) that balance out my cool, understanding friends. Much like your situation, they don't invite me to dinner - EVER. Not at their homes or anywhere else.
Heh, I know the feeling. Some family members (Mom, Dad and one sister) go out of their way to accommodate me, but the rest could give a damn, lol. I'm used to it. I just know to bring food to those occasions. Funny thing is, they usually end up enjoying whatever it is I bring...most of the time. :D

I don't eat out at restaurants much at all anymore but I have eaten at non-veg restaurants from time to time and I don't see any problem with it as long as you are prepared to usually look online or call up beforehand to check that there is something suitable. I am demanding I suppose :D but I wouldn't pay to eat at a restaurant where all I could eat was a bowl of plain vegetables or something unless it was absolutely necessary. I would expect to have a decent vegan meal if I was eating out and leaving a tip or I would just prefer to eat at home.

I have had friends outright not invite me to functions that included meals at their homes or even when dining out because of my being vegan. I understand their sentiment that if "you are coming to my house" you eat what's prepared, which is pretty much my sentiment when it comes to animal products -- I won't prepare them, end of story, but I would make sure we could agree on a meal we all could enjoy.

:( That is pretty rude IMO.

I don't eat out at restaurants much at all anymore but I have eaten at non-veg restaurants from time to time and I don't see any problem with it as long as you are prepared to usually look online or call up beforehand to check that there is something suitable. I am demanding I suppose :D but I wouldn't pay to eat at a restaurant where all I could eat was a bowl of plain vegetables or something unless it was absolutely necessary. I would expect to have a decent vegan meal if I was eating out and leaving a tip or I would just prefer to eat at home.
I think I'm getting cranky in my old age and I feel the same way. It's getting to the point where, if my family/friends want to get together and it has to be at a restaurant, how about choosing at least a vegetarian one and let them have just a salad...see how they like it.
They eat out all the time so they should be able to suck it up once in a while instead of it always being me who has to figure out what I can eat. The whole, I go out to eat for the company of family and friends routine is getting old. I'd rather stay home.

Damn this sounds bad, reading it back, but I'm leaving it, lol. [emoji12]

Reactions: PTree15
More on topic, now that my rant is over...I'm ok with the OP.

I've seen restaurants go both ways (some adding, and some removing veggie options). So it really depends on the customer's menu choice.

And the third way, BC, is that they maintain a single veggie option because they only need a single veggie option to get their hands on many veggie's cash.

It's usualy a pretty unimaginative option and one most restaurants never change.

That, imho, comes about largely because restaurants can safely take the **** of veggies because too many veggies, given just one unimaginative and never changing option, are too reluctant to kick up a fuss and complain.

I think I'm getting cranky in my old age and I feel the same way. It's getting to the point where, if my family/friends want to get together and it has to be at a restaurant, how about choosing at least a vegetarian one and let them have just a salad...see how they like it.
They eat out all the time so they should be able to suck it up once in a while instead of it always being me who has to figure out what I can eat. The whole, I go out to eat for the company of family and friends routine is getting old. I'd rather stay home.

Damn this sounds bad, reading it back, but I'm leaving it, lol. [emoji12]

I'm with you, KLS, a little further down that road, even.

I wouldn't even eat at an all veggie place with my family anymore.

It's not actualy the food that bothers me. I feed my cat meat everyday in my own home and I love my cat to bits.

The difference, I think, is that my cat is an obligate and therefore has no choice but to be a dumb carnivore f-head.

My family, OTH, are not obligate carnivores. They just choose to be dumb f-heads and it's the fact that they are dumb f-heads soley by choice that actualy gets on my tits.

So is it safe to infer that many vegans would embrace a menu that is half-vegan, half-carnivorous in order to broaden their options? I'll ask around other forums to gather more information. Thanks again everyone.