Longtime vegan from oly-town washington

HaplessHeather

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello all! I'm Heather. I've been vegan for 12 years and I hail from Olympia, Washington. I haven't been on a vegan forum or networked online about veganism in many years now. It'll be fun to poke around on here and see what people are posting about.

If anyone has any questions about staying vegan or is struggling with aspects of veganism, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

I'd also be interested in discussing methods of activism and what journeys people have been on to find a style of activism that is both feasible and comfortable for them (not that activism should be comfortable. I mean, activism that feels "right" for them). Even after 12 years, I've barely begun this journey.

Hey Heather,
You are amazing! Being a Vegan for 12 years, you saved a lot of lives! I become a Vegan last year and I have been vegetarian over 3 years of my life. This is actually my first forum that I have joined in my 24 years :joy:

I don't know much about methods of activism so that would be an interesting discussion for me as well...
Personally, I do struggle with dinners at the moment as I don't have much time to cook.
So, I am looking for really fast vegan recipes like not more than 15 min preparation time...

If you know something quick, tasty and easy please do share :)
Cheers,
Neo

Hi Neo, sorry I missed your reply til now! It was nice to get a friendly response.

My philosophy about cooking is, start with quick and easy recipes until you feel more confident and are gradually able to carve out a little more time each week or month to prepare food. Cooking at home is essential to being a healthy vegan in my opinion, so start with quick easy meals and work your way forward from there! A year or two down the road you might be amazed that it ever felt like a big deal!

This was my first vegan cookbook, and I highly recommend it as an easy starting point: 125 Best Vegan Recipes

I still have it after all these years, and use it regularly. The recipes are easy and really delicious. The peanut sauce recipe, for example, is better than any peanut sauce I've had at any restaurant. The Caribbean Rice and Beans are amazing, the tofu dip and spread is easy and awesome...it even has a few recipes that incorporate vegan meat or cheese substitutions to make the dish super easy and fast to make. That was a huge relief to me as a new vegan, because making everything from scratch seemed a little overwhelming. I hope you grab a copy and try it out. :) Then when you're feeling really adventurous you can graduate up to Isa's cookbooks!

Hi,
Also a long time vegan (28 years), back in the dark days of terrible soya milk, and carrying a small book around that listed vegan products. Great to have so much choice now and to see so many people talking about and adopting a vegan diet.